How Should I Structure My Fellowship Application Essays?

• Thread starter splitringtail
  • Start date
In summary: However, if you focus on the evidence rather than the argument, it will be more convincing to the reader.In summary, the research the applicant plans to do during the fellowship is unspecified and the essay lacks a clear structure.
splitringtail
I need to write an two essays on:

Describe all my previous research.

The research I purpose to do during the fellowship.

They need to be no more than two pages and single spaced.

Yet, I am not sure on the format. I am very use to essays where you make an argument (a thesis) and then you support it with key details. This is the type of essay you see in college coursework. I am not sure I can formulate my experience into a 1-2 statements. Descriptive essays from what I did in high school are a totally different beast. For the other second essay, I was thinking of a pseudo-proposal format, since fellowship or not I still have to do this work to get my PhD.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it helps, likely what the committee reading these essays wants to know is:
- what research have you done to this point in your career
- what technical skills have you taken from the process
- what other skills have you learned (for example, establishing realistic timelines, collaboration, writing skills, etc.)
- what motivates you to engage in research
- do you have the potential to independently define a research project or direction

I get what your saying, but I am just not sure on the structure. Is it like personal statement kinda step up or is it like a augmentative exposition. Like I start with an introduction leading into a claim like vending machines cause childhood obesity, then support in the body of essay.

Not sure if it is appropriate style if I am trying to describe the research I have done before. Most of it was undergraduate and it didn't work out all to well.

Who are these essays for? An admission committee? Search committee? Job interview? Grant application?

Funding from a fellowship.

Most likely, the review board for the fellowship wants you to demonstrate that you are able to perform the work. Evidence for this is a track record of publications/presentations/documentation of previous work (essay 1), justification of the proposed work, and how your previous experience translates into successfully carrying out the proposed work (essay 2).

If it helps to think in terms of an argument (i.e. claim and evidence), then by all means do so.

FAQ: How Should I Structure My Fellowship Application Essays?

1. What is the purpose of the essays in a fellowship application?

The essays in a fellowship application are an opportunity for you to showcase your qualifications, achievements, and goals to the selection committee. They allow the committee to gain a deeper understanding of who you are as a candidate and why you are a good fit for the fellowship.

2. How should I structure my essays for a fellowship application?

It is important to follow the guidelines provided by the fellowship program for essay structure and length. Generally, you should have a clear introduction, body paragraphs that support your main points, and a conclusion that summarizes your key messages. It may also be helpful to have a theme or central idea that ties your essays together.

3. What should I include in my essays for a fellowship application?

You should include information about your academic background, research experience and interests, relevant extracurricular activities, and any other achievements or experiences that demonstrate your potential as a fellow. It is also important to highlight your motivation and dedication for pursuing the fellowship and how it aligns with your long-term goals.

4. How can I make my essays stand out in a competitive fellowship application process?

To make your essays stand out, it is important to be authentic and genuine in your writing. Share personal anecdotes and experiences that showcase your unique qualities and strengths. Use specific examples to illustrate your points and avoid generic or cliché statements. Additionally, have someone else proofread your essays to ensure they are well-written and free of errors.

5. Is it necessary to tailor my essays for each fellowship application?

Yes, it is important to tailor your essays for each fellowship application. Each program may have different criteria and priorities, so your essays should reflect that. Be sure to research the specific fellowship and its mission, values, and goals to understand what they are looking for in a candidate. This will help you tailor your essays to make them more relevant and compelling for the selection committee.