Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Felt a mild tremor on a bridge

1. Apr 11, 2007 #1

Gold Member

About 1:20 this afternoon, I was standing on a very sturdy rigid steel walking bridge spanning the Kennebec River in Skowhegan. I was bracing my forearms against the railing and taking a picture of the river valley downstream, when suddenly the bridge shuddered for a few seconds. I looked up quickly only to see a fairly small woman approaching, and she smiled and said "hi" as she passed, seeming not to have noticed anything out of the ordinary. I made a report to the USGS, but have seen nothing on the Internet to indicate that we had a mild earthquake. I don't see how one small (100-110#) woman could cause such an effect, though, and it passed before she actually reached my position anyway.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Nothing so far this evening.

The closest 2+ quake was Magnitude 2.7 - SOUTHERN QUEBEC, CANADA

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 10:05:10 (UTC) = Coordinated Universal Time
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 6:05:10 AM = local time at epicenter

Perhaps it was very localized and less than 2.0 Mag.
    Maybe the bridge structure shifted. If there are piers in the water, could there be scouring of the bridge piers? Is it only a walking bridge?

Perhaps one should notify the local town or county or DOT office.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?