Using Fermat's Little Theorem to Find Prime Factors of 10^12 -1

• Thread starter ribbon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: I am going to try these methods and see if I can find the third prime.In summary, the third prime factor of 10^12 is 3.
ribbon

Homework Statement

Find 3 different prime factors of 10^12 -1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I began trying to solve this with help from F.L.T. - if p is prime and p does NOT divide a, then a^(p-1) is congruent to 1 (mod p).

So I re-wrote, 10^(13-1) is congruent to 1 (mod13). Subtracting 1 from both sides of the congruence I have:

10^12 is congruent to 1 (mod13).
I believe 3 will be one prime factor since any multiple of 10 divided by 3 will yield 1 remainder. But I am stumped for others, and don't even know if finding 3 was systematically correct?

Now I also have a theorem that says I can divide both sides of the congruence under certain conditions, but I do not see that it will help? Any guidance, is FLT even a correct approach to this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not simplify your problem using the identity ##a^2 - b^2 = (a-b)(a+b)##?

Interesting... So we could have (10^6 +1)(10^6 - 1) is congruent to 1(mod13).

Can I now use this theorem?
"If p is a prime number and x is an integer satisfying x^2 - 1
(mod p), then either x  is congruent to 1 (mod p) or x is congruent to p-1 (mod p)."

But does it even help?

You already used FLT to obtain that 13 divides your number. This is correct.

You have decomposed your number into ##(10^6 + 1)(10^6 - 1)##. Can you use FLT again?
Can you continue and decompose ##10^6 - 1## into something?

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
You already used FLT to obtain that 13 divides your number. This is correct.

You have decomposed your number into ##(10^6 + 1)(10^6 - 1)##. Can you use FLT again?
Can you continue and decompose ##10^6 - 1## into something?

Oh wow, yes I can now write 10^6 - 1 using FLT again and it becomes 10^6 is congruent to 1(MOD7)!

So now I have 2 primes that divide according to the condition, 7 and 13. However is the third prime found by a similar technique?

Haha why am I even asking, of course I can... I think its getting too late for me!

I will just simplify 10^6 - 1 into (10^3 + 1)(10^3 - 1) and following by the same algorithm, 3 will be my appropriate divisor and thus final prime factor.

Thanks Micromass.

EDIT: Wait I made a careless error this is not correct because I would have p=4 so that when subtracted 1 would equal 3, however 4 is not prime so then I would not be able to rewrite it the way I thought...

Last edited:
ribbon said:
Haha why am I even asking, of course I can... I think its getting too late for me!

I will just simplify 10^6 - 1 into (10^3 + 1)(10^3 - 1) and following by the same algorithm, 3 will be my appropriate divisor and thus final prime factor.

Thanks Micromass.

EDIT: Wait I made a careless error this is not correct because I would have p=4 so that when subtracted 1 would equal 3, however 4 is not prime so then I would not be able to rewrite it the way I thought...

For the last prime factor, you don't need any fancy "trickery".

What is (10^12 - 1) (mod 9)?

Without any theorem, just go on factorizing, using in addition to a2-b2=(a-b)(a+b) the identities for the cubes : a3-b3=(a-b)(a2+ab+b2) and a3+b3=(a-b)(a2-ab+b2) . You will find three prime factors quite easily (and even more). ehild

Last edited:
I was thinking of something much simpler, like seeing the pattern of (10-1), (10^2-1), etc...

The results are obviously divisible by 9 (and hence divisible by the only prime factor of 9).

A more rigorous development would be:

$$10\equiv 1\pmod{9}$$

$$10^{12}\equiv 1\pmod{9}$$

and so forth. Either way, Fermat's Little Theorem is not needed for this part.

Likes 1 person
One more method: 1012 is 1 followed by twelve zeros. Subtracting 1, twelve 9-s remain. 1012-1=999999999999. The number in the parentheses is twelve 9-s following each other, so obviously divisible by 9. 999999999999=9*111111111111.
111111111111 is six (11)-s, divisible by 11.
But it is also four (111) and 111=3*37...Do you find more prime divisors?

ehild

Likes 1 person
Thanks guys, very helpful.

What is Fermat's Little Theorem?

Fermat's Little Theorem is a mathematical theorem named after Pierre de Fermat. It states that for any prime number p and any integer a, the remainder of a^p divided by p is equal to a. In other words, a^p is congruent to a modulo p.

How is Fermat's Little Theorem used?

Fermat's Little Theorem has many applications in number theory and cryptography. It is often used in the process of finding large prime numbers and in proving the primality of numbers. It is also a key component in several encryption algorithms, such as the RSA algorithm.

Can Fermat's Little Theorem be applied to non-prime numbers?

No, Fermat's Little Theorem only holds true for prime numbers. If p is not a prime number, then the theorem does not apply and the remainder of a^p divided by p may not be equal to a.

What is the significance of Fermat's Little Theorem?

Fermat's Little Theorem is significant because it provides a simple and efficient way to test whether a number is prime. It also has important applications in cryptography and number theory, making it a valuable tool for mathematicians and scientists.

Who discovered Fermat's Little Theorem?

Fermat's Little Theorem was first stated by Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century, but it was not proven until much later by Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. Since then, many mathematicians have built upon this theorem and expanded its applications.