Fermat's Last Theorem and Physics

In summary, the conversation is about the potential application of Fermat's Last Theorem in physics. One person asks if there are any fundamental results in physics that use the theorem, while another person points out that mathematics and physics are independent and there is currently no known physical application for the theorem. They also mention that diophantine equations, which are used in FLT, are not common in physics. The conversation ends with a discussion about the importance of integers in physics.
DaTario
Hi Guys,

I don't know if here is the correct place to post this one, but I would like to share the discussion and see what other people think about.

First a question, due to my hight level ignorance: Is there already any fundamental result in physycs which makes use of Fermat's Last Theorem?

Now, just wondering... it seems to me that this theorem must have some deep implication in the way our universe is, once there is some stable mathematical structure living herein.

I would appreciate comments on this, even if it is to suggest my going to a shrink. : )

Best Wishes

DaTario

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematics exists totally independently of the physics used to describe the universe.

There is no physical application of FLT yet, nor is it likely that there ever will. Diophantine equations are not common in physics. Even in microscopic descriptions of quantized quantities (the only place where integers are important), you rarely see diophatine equations, because the physical equation always contains non-quantized quantities. The only equations that will be diophantine in nature must be conservation relations for numbers (of quanta). And I see no reason for them to be anything above linear.

But you agree that the recent development of physics (1905 - ) has made us see more importance in the integer set in the description of the real thing.

1. What is Fermat's Last Theorem?

Fermat's Last Theorem is a mathematical conjecture proposed by French mathematician Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century. It states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2.

2. How is Fermat's Last Theorem related to physics?

Fermat's Last Theorem has implications in various fields of physics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and quantum mechanics. It also has connections to the study of modular forms and elliptic curves, which have applications in string theory and particle physics.

3. Has Fermat's Last Theorem been proven?

Yes, Fermat's Last Theorem was famously proven by Andrew Wiles in 1994 after centuries of attempts by mathematicians. Wiles' proof relied on advanced mathematical techniques, including modular forms and elliptic curves, and was verified by experts in the field.

4. How does Fermat's Last Theorem impact our understanding of the universe?

Fermat's Last Theorem has implications in various areas of physics, including the study of symmetry, topology, and quantum mechanics. Its proof has also led to new mathematical discoveries and advancements in number theory, which have furthered our understanding of the mathematical foundations of the universe.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Fermat's Last Theorem?

While Fermat's Last Theorem may not have direct practical applications, its proof has led to advancements in cryptography and computer science. The techniques used to prove the theorem have also been applied to solve other mathematical problems in various fields, showing the importance of theoretical mathematics in real-world applications.