Fermat's principle of least time

In summary, light takes the path which requires the shortest time. This is based on the theory of quantum electrodynamics, which explains how electromagnetic waves work.
LLT71
while I was studying "fermat's principle of least time" I was (and still I am) ntrigued by the fact that "out of all possible paths that it might take to get from one point to another, light takes the path which requires the shortest time". this question may be a bit philosophical but: "how" light "knows" and "chooses" (out of all possibilities) the path which requires the shortest time? these days I am also into generic algorithms so I got this silly thought running through my head: what if light is like some kind of super computer which operates with constant CPU speed 300[km/s] and has some generic alghorithm for choosing the best path!?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
LLT71 said:
"how" light "knows" and "chooses" (out of all possibilities) the path which requires the shortest time?
Take a look at the "Derivation" section of the wikipedia article on Fermat's principle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermat's_principle#Derivation

Fermat's principle follows directly from the fact that light is electromagnetic waves. There's also an explanation based on the theory of quantum electrodynamics; Feynman's "QED: The strange theory of light and matter" includes an excellent and layman-friendly explanation of how this works.

Likes Tazerfish and LLT71
Nugatory said:
Take a look at the "Derivation" section of the wikipedia article on Fermat's principle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermat's_principle#Derivation

Fermat's principle follows directly from the fact that light is electromagnetic waves. There's also an explanation based on the theory of quantum electrodynamics; Feynman's "QED: The strange theory of light and matter" includes an excellent and layman-friendly explanation of how this works.
thank you!

robphy said:
Following up on @Nugatory 's suggestion:
here are videos associated with QED book
oh, wow! many thanks my friend!

What is Fermat's principle of least time?

Fermat's principle of least time is a fundamental principle in optics and physics that states that light will travel between two points along the path that takes the least amount of time.

What is the significance of Fermat's principle of least time?

Fermat's principle of least time is significant because it explains the behavior of light and other wave phenomena. It is also the basis for the laws of reflection and refraction.

How does Fermat's principle of least time relate to Snell's law?

Snell's law, which describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction of light, can be derived from Fermat's principle of least time. This principle explains why light bends when passing through different mediums.

Can Fermat's principle of least time be applied to other types of waves?

Yes, Fermat's principle of least time can be applied to any type of wave, including sound waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves.

Are there any real-life applications of Fermat's principle of least time?

Yes, Fermat's principle of least time has many practical applications, such as in the design of lenses and other optical devices, as well as in the development of telecommunications technology.