Principle of Least Time Question

In summary, the conversation discusses Fermat's principle of least time and its application to light passing through different media. The principle states that light takes the path that requires the shortest time between two given points. However, in real life, this does not always happen and the conversation discusses why. Specifically, the conversation delves into how a perpendicular crossing in a rectangular prism does minimize the time spent in the glass, but it also extends the path through air for the emergent ray. The conversation also mentions that while the time in the slower medium is minimized, the total travel time is not. Finally, the conversation poses a question regarding minimizing a function of two variables.
EternusVia
Hi everyone,

I'm taking my second semester of calc based physics this coming spring. I have a question in optics stemming from my reading of Feynman's lectures on physics. He gives a rough definition of Fermat's principle of least time as follows:

"... out of all possible paths that it might take to get from one point to another, light takes the path which requires the shortest time." (Feynman's emphasis)

My question is this. We know that there exist certain refractive indices for light as it passes through various media. Say we have a rectangular prism. Light is hitting one of the long edges at an angle. According to my understanding of Fermat's PoLT as stated above, the light should travel through the prism forming a right angle at the entry point and a right angle at the exit point (on the inside of the prism). This would minimize the amount of time that the light is in the slow medium, the glass. The total travel time for light would also be minimized, I think.

Of course, this doesn't happen in real life. So my understanding of Fermat's PoLT must be lacking. Could someone explain where I'm going wrong with light and the principle of least time?

Something like this happens in real life:
refraction.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
EternusVia said:
He gives a rough definition of Fermat's principle of least time as follows:

"... out of all possible paths that it might take to get from one point to another, light takes the path which requires the shortest time." (Feynman's emphasis)

Applying that principle requires being given two points that the light "wants" to go through.

EternusVia said:
This would minimize the amount of time that the light is in the slow medium, the glass. The total travel time for light would also be minimized, I think.

Of course, this doesn't happen in real life. So my understanding of Fermat's PoLT must be lacking. Could someone explain where I'm going wrong with light and the principle of least time?
A perpendicular crossing does minimize the time spent in the glass, but it extends the path through air of that emergent ray.

Last edited:
EternusVia said:
This would minimize the amount of time that the light is in the slow medium, the glass. The total travel time for light would also be minimized, I think.
The time in the slower medium would indeed be minimized, but not the total time.

Do you know how to minimize a function of two variables?

Hello,

First of all, it's great that you're already exploring and questioning concepts in physics, especially in optics! The principle of least time, also known as Fermat's principle, is a fundamental concept in optics that helps us understand the behavior of light in different media.

You are correct in your understanding that light takes the path that requires the shortest time to travel from one point to another. However, this principle does not necessarily mean that the light will always take a straight line path. In fact, as you mentioned, in a rectangular prism, the light will not take a straight path but will instead bend at the entry and exit points.

This is because, in addition to minimizing the time spent in a slower medium, the light also follows the law of refraction, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of refraction. In other words, the light bends at the interface between two media in order to maintain this relationship.

Therefore, in the case of a rectangular prism, the light will take a path that minimizes the total travel time while also following the law of refraction. This may not be a straight path, but it will still be the path that takes the shortest time.

I hope this explanation helps clarify your understanding of Fermat's principle and its application in real-life scenarios. Keep up the curiosity and critical thinking in your studies of physics!

What is the Principle of Least Time?

The Principle of Least Time, also known as Fermat's Principle, states that light will always take the path that requires the least amount of time to travel from one point to another. This principle is based on the idea that light always travels at a constant speed, so the path that takes the least amount of time is the most efficient.

How does the Principle of Least Time apply to optics?

In optics, the Principle of Least Time is used to explain the behavior of light as it travels through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. It helps to predict the path that light will take when it enters a new medium, and is a fundamental principle in understanding the reflection, refraction, and dispersion of light.

What is the significance of the Principle of Least Time in physics?

The Principle of Least Time is significant in physics because it is a fundamental principle that helps to explain many phenomena related to light. It is also a key concept in the development of the wave theory of light and is used in the formulation of laws and equations in optics.

Can the Principle of Least Time be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, the Principle of Least Time can be applied to other areas of science, such as acoustics and mechanics. In these fields, it is used to explain the behavior of sound and objects, respectively, as they travel through different mediums. It is also a fundamental principle in the study of waves and their properties.

What are some real-world applications of the Principle of Least Time?

The Principle of Least Time has many practical applications, including the design and development of optical instruments, such as lenses and mirrors. It is also used in the fields of telecommunications, fiber optics, and laser technology. Additionally, the principle is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of light in natural phenomena, such as rainbows and mirages.