Could Fetal Rh+ve Blood Induce Immune Response in Rh-ve Mothers?

In summary, according to the article, the Rh+ve blood group baby if developing can stimulate an immune response in the mother (Rh-ve) but the first baby won't be affected. Birth is a traumatic experience, with torn tissues and bleeding. The Rh+ve blood group baby might be developing an immune response even before birth, but the first baby won't be affected.
Suraj M
Gold Member
They say that the Rh+ve blood group baby if developing can stimulate an immune response in the mother (Rh-ve) but the first baby won't be affected,
My question is actually when exactly the Rh antigen comes in contact with the mothers blood?

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, this typically happens at birth. Birth is a traumatic experience, with torn tissues and bleeding.

That's exactly what I thought too.
But I read that (not exact words)-" the Rh antigens of the foetus create an immune response, but before sufficient antibodies are produced the baby would have been delivered" now that leads me to believe that the antigens reach the mothers blood even before. Or am I interpreting it in the wrong way? I'll try finding the source where I read it and get the exact sentence.

Found it!
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1453651053.009524.jpg

I don't buy this! It can't possibly be true!?

I am not a medical professional but I am a Rh- offspring, in my case there was no need for any drugs to be administered to my mother. But it is my understanding that a certain Rh immunoglobulin can be given to the expecting mother Rh- with a Rh+ baby to counter act this hemolytic disease or hemolytic anemia. I'm not sure why this is, but Rh- Baby has no problems being conceived with an Rh+ mother.

Last edited:
Gjonesy you are a Rh-ve offspring as in your mother is -ve?
I'm a negative too my mother is not, in my case it really doesn't matter, but if my mother were to be Rh-ve and me +ve then too no problem to me or mum but if I were going to have a younger sibling with +ve blood then there's a problem.
I didn't completely understand your situation

No my mom was Rh+, Gave birth to 2 Rh- babies with no problem. My half sister on the other hand Also negative thanks to my dad had to have these injections for her second child if memory serves me correctly.

addendum:
I had the response backward Its a Rh- mother and Rh+ baby.

Suraj M said:
Found it!
I don't buy this! It can't possibly be true!?

Why can't this possibly be true? What about it is difficult to accept?

They are saying RBCs move through the placenta! Really? RBCs? I don't think that happens, only viruses and some bacteria and selected small immunoglobins (IgG) can pass through

The article you quoted says that in the late stages of pregnancy there can be slight damage to the placenta that causes mixing of blood. Why is this hard to believe? The placenta is a delicate organ with both blood supplies in close proximity. I could imagine one good kick from the fetus causing enough damage to get some slight blood mixing. Haven't you ever gotten a bruise?

Okay I asked another teacher
And she said that many books say that in later stages it can but she said she checked in some reputed books, and she is certain that RBCs cannot pass through the placenta, only during and a very short duration after birth due to persistent contractions, the villi are destroyed resulting in the mixing of blood.
If anyone could find any verified source which says that RBCs CAN move across the placenta do share
Because even logically thinking it shouldn't be possible
Else there would be agglutination of both bloods in many cases just because the mothers and the baby's blood group don't match

I read somewhere that in some pregnant women with some auto-immune disease, their body will occasionally treat the fetus like a foreign body. Could that some how damage the blood supply and cause hemolytic anemia?

1. What is fetal maternal blood exchange?

Fetal maternal blood exchange is a process that occurs during pregnancy where the mother's and fetus's blood supply come into close contact to exchange nutrients, oxygen, and waste products.

2. How does fetal maternal blood exchange happen?

Fetal maternal blood exchange happens through the placenta, a temporary organ that develops during pregnancy. The placenta acts as a barrier between the mother's blood supply and the fetus's blood supply, allowing for the exchange of substances.

3. What substances are exchanged during fetal maternal blood exchange?

Nutrients, oxygen, carbon dioxide, hormones, and waste products such as urea and bilirubin are exchanged during fetal maternal blood exchange.

4. Why is fetal maternal blood exchange important?

Fetal maternal blood exchange is crucial for the development of the fetus as it provides essential nutrients and oxygen for growth and removes waste products. It also helps to maintain a stable environment for the fetus inside the womb.

5. Are there any risks associated with fetal maternal blood exchange?

In most cases, fetal maternal blood exchange is a natural and safe process. However, certain conditions such as blood disorders or infections can affect the exchange and may pose risks to the health of the fetus. It is important for pregnant women to receive proper prenatal care to monitor and address any potential risks.