Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Few questions about homemade IrDA module

1. Feb 17, 2010 #1
    First of all, I'm not an electrician, I'm a medical student who occasionally grab a soldering iron for some fun. So if I'm asking something really stupid, I'm sorry.
    I found scheme forIR transciever on http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/86/2 [Broken] and I'm plannig to build it. I was wondering is it ok to rearrange circuit (attached picture, left side) in order to bring photodiode and LED physically close and to reduce wiring, and is there a "wrong and right" way to connect photodiode and LED (I mean does polarity matters and how can I distiguish anode from cathode)
    Thanks everyone

Attached Files:

• irda.jpg
      irda.jpg
      File size:
      16.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF Gorstak.

Electronic schematics show the electrical connections between components in a easy to read format, not the physical locations of the components relative to each other on the board.

Yes, there is a polarity for semiconductor devices such a LEDs and photo diodes. See the flat area next to the cathode terminal of this LED.
    200px-LED%2C_5mm%2C_green_%28en%29.svg.png

4. Feb 17, 2010 #3

vk6kro

Science Advisor

LEDs are also supplied with the anode (+) lead longer than the cathode (-) lead.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook