Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feynman lectures electric dipole question

1. Jul 2, 2015 #1
    For some reason, I'm having trouble with what I feel should be a relatively simple derivative to take. Feynman is differentiating the potential to find the z-component of the electric field. He has:
    [tex]-\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z} = - \frac{p}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\partial }{\partial z} \left(\frac{z}{r^3}\right) = -\frac{p}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left(\frac{1}{r^3} - \frac{3z^2}{r^5} \right )[/tex]

I'm not quite sure how he takes that derivative.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2015 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that ## r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} ##. So insert ## \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} ## everywhere you see a ## r ##, take the derivative, and then
    rewrite powers of ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2## in terms of ##r##. Does that help?

jason

4. Jul 2, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Or apply the chain rule in the initial derivative to get an expression that contains ##\partial r / \partial z##, then evaluate that derivative using ##r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}##, and finally rewrite the result completely in terms of ##r##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook