Feynman's Lectures Refraction Angle question

In summary, Feynman discusses how Fermat's least time theorem can be used to understand refraction. He illustrates the theory with a geometrical example. He points out that the angles involved are small, and that the approximation sinθ = θ (in radians) is usually accurate for angles up to about 20 degrees.
karkas
Hey there, recently been studying Optics in Feynman's book vol.1 and came across his geometrical approach of Fermat's least time theorem and its application on refraction. So he illustrates refraction geometrically like this (attached jpeg for those without the book)

and so he goes on to say that :
"Therefore we see that when we have the right point, XC sin(EXC) = n XC sin(XCF) or, cancelling the common hypotenuse length XC and noting that : EXC = ECN = θ_i (angle) and XCF = BCN' = θ_r (angle) , we have sinθi = n sinθr.

However I am trying to figure out why the equivalence in bold stands, and I can't see it. In fact I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be so normally, but Feynman states something about an approximation later on (that the two different paths' travel time should be thought of as equal), so this may be why the angles are so. Anyone care to explain? It may be something really geometrically simple, but it bothers me !

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 402
Science news on Phys.org
I think that you have identified a small fault in the analysis !
The angle XCN' is 90 degrees so angle XCF + FCN' = 90
So if BCN' = XCF then BCN' + FCN' should also = 90. On the diagram this is not the case Angle BFC is the right angle.
When you read the full analysis he makes a point that only small changes from the path AXB are being considered and the curve is fairly flat in that region so any deviations are of the SECOND ORDER.
This is not pointed out but I imagine ASSUMING BCN' equals XCF is good enought !

I think I get what you're saying, thanks. I'd be obliged if you'd elaborate on the second order deviations but nevertheless I can roughly see what's going on !

An almost identical situation arises when deriving the equation for the separation of maxima in the 2 slit interference pattern. The diagram consists of 2 very close point sources (the slits) and a distant screen.
When you draw the straight lines and construct triangles to calculate angles you find a triangle that cannot be a right angle triangle but the DIFFERENCE is so small it can be ignored. This sort of approximation occurs frequently in physics. If the difference occurs in, let's say, the 4th sig figure then it is not significant.!
A good example is the approximation Sinθ = θ (in radians) which is good for angles up to about 20 degrees (difference only begins to show in the 3rd, 4th significant figure.
If I remember my calculus correctly '2nd order' means you can ignore (dy/dx)^2 for small values.
Hope this helps

Oh like in a Taylor expansion. I see, thanks!

1. What is Feynman's Lectures Refraction Angle question?

Feynman's Lectures Refraction Angle question is a thought experiment proposed by physicist Richard Feynman to illustrate the concept of refraction, which describes how light bends when passing through different mediums.

2. How does Feynman's Lectures Refraction Angle question work?

In the thought experiment, Feynman asks the audience to imagine a light ray passing through a block of glass and then through a second block of glass with a different thickness. He then poses the question of how the angle of the light ray changes as it passes through the two blocks of glass.

3. Why is Feynman's Lectures Refraction Angle question important?

Feynman's Lectures Refraction Angle question is important because it helps to visualize and understand the phenomenon of refraction, which is essential in many scientific fields such as optics, astronomy, and meteorology.

4. What is the answer to Feynman's Lectures Refraction Angle question?

The answer to Feynman's Lectures Refraction Angle question is that the angle of refraction, or the angle at which the light ray bends as it passes through the two blocks of glass, depends on the ratio of the speed of light in the two mediums. This is described by Snell's Law: n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

5. How does Feynman's Lectures Refraction Angle question relate to real-world situations?

Feynman's Lectures Refraction Angle question is a simplified version of the concept of refraction, which occurs in many real-world situations. For example, the bending of light as it passes through water or a lens is a result of refraction. Understanding this concept is crucial in designing and improving technologies such as eyeglasses, telescopes, and cameras.