1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field at a distance 'z' from a solenoid

1. Jun 12, 2009 #1
    given a long solenoid, with a radius of R (R<<L), a current of I flows throught it. find the magnetic field at point A which is located at a distance of R from the solenoid on the solenoids line of symetry.

HOW DO I DO THIS??

the only thing i see that i think i need to do here is somehow use either biot savar or more likely ampere and solve it, but how?
    the only problems i have had with solenoid were to find the field inside of it in which case i took a closed loop integral and used amperes law to get B=μNI/L=μnI

what i think i need to do(but have not managed) is use biot savar, and say that the total field can only be on the 'z' axis, along the centre of the the solenoid- since the rest cancel out due to symetry,

db=(μi/4pi)*dl/L^2
    using pythagarus +++> L=sqrt(r^2+Z^2) while z is constant and r goes from 0 to R

z=R

after my integration i get (μi/sqrt(32)pi)*1/R^2

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2009 #2
    what i have been told i need to do is 2 integrations, one over one coil and the second over the distance, from R to infinity, taking inot account the contributions from all the coils,

but i have not managed to get this integration right,,,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook