Field constituents

• Thread starter Pjpic
  • Start date
Of what are fields made? Sort of sounds like ether.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Of what are fields made? Sort of sounds like ether.
Could you please list out all the properties and characteristics of fields and all the properties of the classical ether, and point out how you deduced that they "sound" alike?

Zz.

"sound" alike?

Zz.[/QUOTE]

From what little I know of fields, they seem to "fill up' space. This seems similiar to , or sounds like, ether.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
From what little I know of fields, they seem to "fill up' space. This seems similiar to , or sounds like, ether.
So you pick up on ONE characteristics and somehow this is sufficient to make the comparison? A chicken is edible, and so is an apple, so they both "sound" alike?

Zz.

So you pick up on ONE characteristics and somehow this is sufficient to make the comparison? A chicken is edible, and so is an apple, so they both "sound" alike?

Zz.
Sure; if it seems to be a salient characteristic. I surmise there is a compare/contrast list between ether and fields. But, the point of orignal question is about what makes up fields.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Sure; if it seems to be a salient characteristic. I surmise there is a compare/contrast list between ether and fields. But, the point of orignal question is about what makes up fields.
So the obvious fact that the classical ether has not been detected while the properties of quantum fields have makes no difference to you?

Zz.

makes no difference to you?

Zz.[/QUOTE]

It does make a difference. Although, with this thread; I'd rather stay with the original question.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
It does make a difference. Although, with this thread; I'd rather stay with the original question.
But this IS related to your original question, because it renders your claim that they "sound" alike to be false. Thus, the original premise is not valid because of this one, very important, distinction.

Zz.

But this IS related to your original question,

I agree, you are correct; it does relate to the original question. But, for the remaider of this thread; I will stay focused only on the original question -Of what are fields made?

From a classical perspective, a field can be regarded as a smooth, continuous wavelike phenomena; from a quantum mechanical perspective, the field is seen as quantized, being composed of individual photons. A good way to visualize a field is the old magnetic and iron filings...clearly the field carries energy to push the iron filings into an alignment pattern...

How the field is described usually depends on the model you choose...nobody knows the constituent(s) any more than we know those of matter, space,time,energy...we have working models that usually do a good job of predicting most experimental results....how all the constituents "fall from" an initially unstable high energy "big bang" phase transition to what we see today (as separate electromagnetic, gravitational, and nuclear fields, for example,) remains fundamentally unclear. "Unification" (of relativity and quantum mechanics, maybe string theory, quantum field theory,etc) seeks to explain much of this...we'll see how it turns out.

...nobody knows the constituent(s) any more than we know those of matter, space,time,energy...

So, when Wiki says that particles are "chunked ripples in the field"; they don't know what the ripples are in?