1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field strength/intensity meter and receiver

1. Aug 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[
    i was asked to measure the signal strength. so in my set up for the experiment, is the field strength meter needed together with the receiver. how am i gonna set these together at the antenna.izzit , connect the receiver to the battery, antenna to the receiver, AND FIELD STRENGTH METER TO THE ANTENNA. so i could measure the signal strength.or receiver alone is enough for measuring the signal strength.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Without seeing the setup it's difficult to answer, but if you know that the receiver and the meter have the same impedance, I'd connect the antenna to the meter, measure the signal strength, disconnect the antenna from the meter and connect it to the receiver and then perform your receiver tests.

Ideally the antenna, the reciever, the meter, and the cable connecting them will all have the same impedance.

If you have impedance mismatches, your results can depend on the length of the cable you use to connect things together ("standing waves" on the cable).

If your receiver and your meter have different impedances, you really have problems, and you should talk to your instructor.
  4. Aug 27, 2007 #3
    thx for helping
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?