Fields (Gravitational fields) -- Escape Velocity from the Moon

In summary: It is also important to state explicitly what variables represent, e.g. "Let M be the mass of the Earth...". Then, if you check a calculation, it is easier to see when you have made a mistake.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating escape velocity using the equation √2GM/r. The user initially chose 4/81 v(esc) as their answer, but after receiving feedback, they realized their algebra was incorrect and they needed to check their work. The conversation also touches on the importance of using clear and consistent variables in calculations.
jellybean-spider
Homework Statement
The escape velocity for an object at the surface of the Earth is V(esc). The diameter of the moon is 4 times smaller than that of the Earth and the mass of the Moon is 81 times smaller than that of the Earth. What is the escape velocity of the object on the moon.
Relevant Equations
V(esc) = sqrt (2GM/R)
It's an MCQ, and I chose 4/81 v(esc). Is this correct? There isn't a marking scheme... :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
√2G(1/81)M/(1/4)r = √2GM/r

This is with the information that I have got from the question and then I think using proportionality I got 4/81 v(sec)

jellybean-spider said:

This is with the information that I have got from the question and then I think using proportionality I got 4/81 v(sec)
Why don't you calculate the escape velocity of the Moon from that and check online to see whether you are right?

Likes sysprog
jellybean-spider said:
Check your algebra. If you cancel √(GM/r) from both sides of your equation you are left with:
√(1/81)/(1/4)) = 1
which should sound (loud) alarm bells!

Hint: for practice/understanding, first solve a simple example:
If y=√x, what happens to y if, say, x increases by a factor of 25?

Then try the problem again. Don't forget to check your answer makes sense as suggested by by@PeroK.

jellybean-spider said:

It is too confusing using the same symbol for different variables. Add subscripts (##M_e, M_m## for Earth and Moon, etc.) or use different case (M, m, R, r) or different letters.

Likes PeroK and sysprog

1. What is escape velocity from the Moon?

Escape velocity from the Moon refers to the minimum speed that an object needs to achieve in order to escape the gravitational pull of the Moon and enter into space.

2. How is escape velocity from the Moon calculated?

The escape velocity from the Moon can be calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/R), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Moon, and R is the radius of the Moon.

3. What is the escape velocity from the Moon in meters per second?

The escape velocity from the Moon is approximately 2,380 meters per second.

4. Can escape velocity from the Moon be measured?

Yes, escape velocity from the Moon can be measured using specialized instruments and equipment, such as radar or spacecraft.

5. How does escape velocity from the Moon compare to escape velocity from Earth?

The escape velocity from the Moon is much lower than the escape velocity from Earth, which is approximately 11,200 meters per second. This is due to the Moon's lower mass and weaker gravitational pull compared to Earth.