1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fields in Physics assignment question about electron beams in a cathoe ray tube

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1

bry

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok so we have been given a diagram of a cathoe ray tube, with relevant data on it. The second question asks to "calculate the speed of the electron, using data from the first question". I need to make sure the answer is correct as it leads into many different questions.

I am unable to attach the picture, but here are all details:
    Distance between metal plates: 5cm
    Length of metal plates: 10cm
    Charge on upper plate: 500V
    No charge on lower plate
    Charge on anode: 1000V

2. Relevant equations

The first question was to calculate the kinetic energy gained by an electron travelling from cathode to anode. What i calculated was:

E_k=qV=C×V
    -1.6×〖10〗^(-19)×1000
    E_k=-1.6×〖10〗^(-16) N

3. The attempt at a solution

I used two different methods to work this out, but got two different answers:

F=E_k

E_k=1/2 mv^2

v=√((2×E_k)/m)

v=√((2×-1.6×〖10〗^(-16))/(9.11×〖10〗^(-31) ))

v=-1.87 〖ms〗^(-1)

OR

s=((2×C×V))/m

s=((2×-1.6×〖10〗^(-16)×500))/(9.11×〖10〗^(-31) )

s= -1.76 〖ms〗^(-48)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!
    The first speed calc is correct except it works out to 1.87 x 10^7 on my calculator.
    I don't understand the second - what is C? I don't recognize the formula.

4. Feb 12, 2012 #3

bry

Thank you!
    I have put it into my calculator again a few times but still getting the same answer: 1.87x10^-24 .... I put it all in separately, so work out what 2x 1.6x10^-16 then divide it...then work out the square root. would doing this alter my answer?

In the second equation the C represents the charge on the electron. I found it on a website so i'm not totally sure it is suitable for this problem.

Also what do i do about the fact that the electron has a negative charge on it? because i'm unable to square root a negative number.

5. Feb 12, 2012 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

There is no negative number - the energy is positive. Technically, the polarity is oriented so the V is negative, too, so the qV is positive.

v=√((2×-1.6×10^(-16))/(9.11×10^(-31) ))
    Say you separate the numbers and powers: 2x1.6/9.11 = 0.35
    The power of 10 is -16-(-31) = 15. So under the square root, 0.35 x 10^15
    Square root of that is 1.87 x 10^7.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook