Mr Davis 97
- 1,461
- 44
Given that ##\cos x = -0.4927##, ##\sin x = \pm \sqrt{1 - (\cos x)^2} = \pm \sqrt{1 - (-0.4927)^2} = \pm 0.8704##. How do I know which sign to choose for the correct sign?
You don't. You will need some other fact to make that choice.Mr Davis 97 said:Given that ##\cos x = -0.4927##, ##\sin x = \pm \sqrt{1 - (\cos x)^2} = \pm \sqrt{1 - (-0.4927)^2} = \pm 0.8704##. How do I know which sign to choose for the correct sign?
That's too open-ended. What other informmation do you have? Or is this a generic question?Mr Davis 97 said:Oh. Like what extra information would I need?
You need some way to determine whether x is in 2nd or 3rd quadrant, yes.Mr Davis 97 said:Just a generic question. Would I need to know what quadrant cosx is in? Since it could be in either II or III.
They BOTH are correct. You make a selection according to the situation you are solving.Mr Davis 97 said:Given that ##\cos x = -0.4927##, ##\sin x = \pm \sqrt{1 - (\cos x)^2} = \pm \sqrt{1 - (-0.4927)^2} = \pm 0.8704##. How do I know which sign to choose for the correct sign?
You would need to know what quadrant x is in, not what quadrant cos(x) is in.Mr Davis 97 said:Would I need to know what quadrant cosx is in?