Figuring out the solution of the following Integral

• Thread starter JasonPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral doesn't seem to be expressible in elementary functions or in a closed form, but there are some methods that may help.
JasonPhysicist

Homework Statement

Hello,I'm having problems figuring out the solution of the following Integral.Any hints would be much appreciated!There it is:

I= sin(x)/sqrt{4sin(x)^2+cos(x)^2} dx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]I=\int\frac{sin(x) dx}{\sqrt{4sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)}}[/tex]

O.O wow thats...a toughie, no substitution seems to work...you could try tan(x/2)=y but you'd get a polynomial of degree 4 on the square root...

It would be so much nicer if that 4 was gone...

ok you could try getting rid of those sin^2 x by using those formulas
[tex]sin^2 (x) = \frac{1-cos 2x}{2}[/tex]
[tex]cos^2 (x) = \frac{1+cos 2x}{2}[/tex]

that might lead you somewhere decent but you'll have some problems with sin(x) on the top but square root of acos2x + or - something...

Yeah,I've tried everything you've listed above,but had no success lol.
Anyway,thank you !

Not expressible in elementary functions or in a closed form.

JasonPhysicist said:

Homework Statement

Hello,I'm having problems figuring out the solution of the following Integral.Any hints would be much appreciated!

There it is:

I= sin(x)/sqrt{4sin(x)^2+cos(x)^2} dx

It's always a bad sign when it doesn't show up in Gradshteyn & Ryzhik...

Are you sure that you're asked for the indefinite integral? The closest entry I found was [3.676 #1] in G&R, 5th edition:

rewrite [tex]4sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)[/tex] as [tex]1+3sin^2(x)[/tex] and use

definite integral from 0 to pi/2 of [tex]\int\frac{sin(x) dx}{\sqrt{1+p^2sin^2(x)}}[/tex]

= (1/p) arctan p , with p^2 = 3 .

It looks like this may be one of those integrals that only has nice solutions for *certain* definite limits, but not in general...

so yea I tried it and my integral has complex numbers, so I'm going to go recheck my work.

[tex]I=\int\frac{sin(x) dx}{\sqrt{4sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)}}= \int\frac{sin(x)dx}{\sqrt{4- 5cos^2(x)}}[/tex]

Let u= cos(x) so du= sin(x)dx and the integral becomes
[tex]\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{4- 5u^2}}= \frac{1}{2}\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{1- \frac{5}{4}u^2}}[/tex]
Letting [itex]sin(\theta)= \sqrt{5}/2 u[/itex] should convert it to a rational integral.

Thats some really nice work there Halls! I wish i'd seen that =] Just One tiny mistake though, u=cos x so du = - sin x dx, so the actual integral is the one you gave, just with a negative sign stuck out the front.

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]I=\int\frac{sin(x) dx}{\sqrt{4sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)}}= \int\frac{sin(x)dx}{\sqrt{4- 5cos^2(x)}}[/tex]

I am likewise chagrined to have missed that; I was focusing on the sine-squared term, rather than the cosine-squared one.

One other little thing, though: 4 (sin x)^2 + (cos x)^2 =
4 [1 - (cos x)^2] + (cos x)^2 =
4 - 4 (cos x)^2 + (cos x)^ 2 =
4 - 3 (cos x)^2 , no?

+, - what does it really matter!:redface::cry:

HallsofIvy said:
+, - what does it really matter!:redface::cry:

Yeah, signs are *really* only important if you go to pick something up and the nuclei turn out to have negative charge...

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

How do you solve an integral?

There are several techniques for solving integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is also important to understand the properties of integrals, such as linearity and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

What is the purpose of finding the solution of an integral?

Integrals are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They help to find quantities such as velocity, distance, and area. They are also used in optimization problems and to model real-world situations.

Can integrals be solved using software or calculators?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators that can solve integrals. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of how to solve integrals manually in order to use these tools effectively.

Are there any tips for solving integrals?

Some tips for solving integrals include looking for patterns, using trigonometric identities, and practicing regularly. It is also important to carefully choose the correct method for solving a particular integral problem.