Fill in the blank

  1. Feb 7, 2007 #1
    _____ is to addition as factorize is to multiplication.

    Is there a word for this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2007 #2
    addendize? summandize? mm, decompose?
  4. Feb 7, 2007 #3
    No, i think decompose means the same as factorize, i.e. multiplication, as in matrix decomposition.

    But I think I just found my answer further down the page in the the "number partition" thread. I guess the word I'm looking for is "partition."

    Wikipedia agrees:
    "In number theory, a partition of a positive integer n is a way of writing n as a sum of positive integers."
  5. Feb 7, 2007 #4


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper

    It seems that one can use either sum or summate. I looked in the dictionary.
  6. Feb 7, 2007 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Gnome, I agree that 'partition' is used -- it's just about the only term I've read for that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Similar Discussions: Fill in the blank