What is the relationship between addition and factorization?

• Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
In summary, the word "partition" is used to describe the process of breaking down a number into a sum of smaller numbers, similar to how "factorize" is used for multiplication. Other possible terms such as "addendize" or "summandize" do not accurately describe this process.
gnome
_____ is to addition as factorize is to multiplication.

Is there a word for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
addendize? summandize? mm, decompose?

No, i think decompose means the same as factorize, i.e. multiplication, as in matrix decomposition.

But I think I just found my answer further down the page in the the "number partition" thread. I guess the word I'm looking for is "partition."

Wikipedia agrees:
"In number theory, a partition of a positive integer n is a way of writing n as a sum of positive integers."

It seems that one can use either sum or summate. I looked in the dictionary.

Gnome, I agree that 'partition' is used -- it's just about the only term I've read for that.

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to conducting scientific experiments and investigations. It involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, testing the hypothesis through experiments, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions. It is used to gather and evaluate evidence in order to understand and explain natural phenomena.

2. How do you conduct a controlled experiment?

A controlled experiment is one in which all variables, except for the one being tested, are kept constant. To conduct a controlled experiment, you must first identify the independent and dependent variables, then design and set up the experiment in a way that only the independent variable is being manipulated. The results of the experiment can then be compared to a control group, which is a group that is not exposed to the independent variable.

3. What is a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon that can be tested through experimentation. It is an educated guess or prediction based on prior knowledge and observations. A hypothesis should be specific, measurable, and testable in order to be scientifically valid.

4. How do you analyze and interpret data?

Data analysis involves organizing and summarizing collected data in order to identify patterns and relationships. This can be done through visual representations such as graphs and charts, as well as statistical analysis. Data interpretation involves using the results of the data analysis to draw conclusions and make inferences about the experiment or investigation.

5. What is the importance of peer review in scientific research?

Peer review is a process in which other scientists in the same field evaluate and critique a research paper before it is published. This helps to ensure that the research is of high quality and accuracy, and it also allows for other scientists to replicate and build upon the findings. Peer review is important in maintaining the integrity and credibility of scientific research.