Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Filter specifications, conversion between them

1. Dec 12, 2008 #1
    In filters usually you can find two different specifications: number of poles and dB/octave.
    I know that the poles gives you the transfer functions using this equation for a low pass filter
    [tex]H(f)=1/\sqrt{1+(f/f_{C})^{2P}}[/tex]
    Where P is the number of poles of the filter. But how can I translate this into the dB/octave. I suppose that there is a rule of thumb but I cannot find it. Can anybody indicate to me this rule or give a reference where I could find it?
    Thanks in advance

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You can derive it or reason it out. For a single pole lowpass filter, calculate the gain at some frequency that is a couple octaves above the cutoff freq. Then double the frequency -- what does the gain do? The gain is _____ with frequency when you're above the cutoff frequency.....

4. Dec 15, 2008 #3
    Ok, thanks for the answer. I have done like that and seems that 6 correspond with 1 pole, 12 with 2 poles, beyond that I haven't obtained any correlations.

5. Dec 15, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Correct. For one LPF pole, every time you double the frequency, you get half the amplitude. For two poles, you get one quarter the amplitude, etc.

6. Dec 22, 2009 #5
    Interesting, berk, i guess this is invoking another question, is the radius of pole shows some similar relation with the magnitude response?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?