Final semester project ideas using CMOS VLSI?

In summary: We will need more information from you to help figure out a possible project.What is the most complex circuit you have designed so far? Do you know what a Finite State Machine is? Have you designed circuitry using Verilog or VHDL before? Have you designed any PAL or FPGA based circuits? What kinds?I haven't done any project yet.This is the first time I'm going to do a project.We have designed circuitry for some basic electronic circuits like oscillators, amplifiers, clipper clampers using VHDL in our previous semester. I haven't designed any PAL or FPGA based circuits yet.
MAHESH BABU SANNIDHI
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Guys ! I need your help in choosing a better project for my last semester .Can anyone suggest me projects based on CMOS VLSI Technology.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Must you design a CMOS VLSI, or use a CMOS VLSI ?
What project do you have now that you want to better ?

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

Must you design a CMOS VLSI, or use a CMOS VLSI ?
What project do you have now that you want to better ?
Thanks for responding .We have to use CMOS VLSI in our project.

I would argue any Arduino based project fits the description.

Likes berkeman
MAHESH BABU SANNIDHI said:
Thanks for responding .We have to use CMOS VLSI in our project.
What ideas have you considered so far? Are you going to code up your application using Verilog and target an FPGA? If so, which FPGA and what design tools are you going to use?

Last edited:
Borek said:
I would argue any Arduino based project fits the description.
thanks for your response.:smile:

berkeman said:
What ideas have you considered so far? Are you going to code up your application using Verilog and targeting an FPGA? If so, which FPGA and what design tools are you going to use?
I'm not getting any ideas about this. we are going to use tanner tool for the VLSI design

we are going to use tanner tool for the VLSI design
Tanner Tools is IC design software. So you are really going to design and lay out an IC? How many gates are you targeting? What geometry (minimum feature size)? Do you have an IC fab on your campus that you will use to actually fab some first articles of your IC? (Some universities are lucky enough to have that available -- the University of Michgan did back when I went to graduate school in the early 1980s.)

I'm not getting any ideas about this.
That is hard to believe. This is your schoolwork project, after all, so you need to show some effort at brainstorming some IC project ideas. What is the most complex circuit that you have designed so far? Do you know what a Finite State Machine is? Have you designed circuitry using Verilog or VHDL before? Have you designed any PAL or FPGA based circuits? What kinds?

No I haven't done any project yet .This is the first time I'm going to do a project. We have designed circuitry for some basic electronic circuits like oscillators, amplifiers , clipper clampers using VHDL in our previous semester . I haven't designed any PAL or FPGA based circuits yet.

How complex of an IC do you need to target? How many equivalent gates? Will it be mixed-signal (analog+digital), or strictly digital? Can you post the exact text of the assignment?

They hadn't mentioned any specifications about this. They said that we have to design a CMOS VLSI using tanner tool

They hadn't mentioned any specifications about this. They said that we have to design a CMOS VLSI using tanner tool
That's also a bit hard to believe. One of my EE friends in graduate school had such an assignment, and the requirements were *very* detailed on how complex it needed to be, what kinds of IP could be used, what sorts of building blocks should be included, the geometry of the in-house fab (along with the associated design rules), etc. An open-ended assignment would be too hard to manage and grade as an instructor.

1. What is CMOS VLSI and why is it important for a final semester project?

CMOS VLSI (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Very Large Scale Integration) is a technology used in designing and manufacturing integrated circuits. It is important for a final semester project because it is widely used in modern electronics and has various applications in fields such as computer architecture, communication systems, and consumer electronics.

2. What are some potential project ideas using CMOS VLSI?

Some potential project ideas using CMOS VLSI include designing and simulating a digital circuit, implementing a memory system, creating a microprocessor, or designing a communication system. Other ideas could include developing a sensor interface, designing a power management system, or creating a custom integrated circuit for a specific application.

3. What skills are required to work on a final semester project using CMOS VLSI?

To work on a final semester project using CMOS VLSI, one should have a strong understanding of digital logic design, circuit analysis, and semiconductor physics. Proficiency in using design and simulation software such as Cadence or Synopsys is also important. Additionally, knowledge of programming languages like Verilog or VHDL is necessary for implementing and testing the design.

4. Can a final semester project using CMOS VLSI be completed individually or does it require a team?

A final semester project using CMOS VLSI can be completed either individually or in a team, depending on the complexity of the project and the resources available. Some projects may require a team to complete due to the amount of work and expertise needed, while others can be completed individually with proper guidance from a mentor.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a final semester project using CMOS VLSI?

The duration of a final semester project using CMOS VLSI can vary depending on the scope and complexity of the project, as well as the availability of resources. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to complete a project. It is important to plan and manage time effectively to ensure the project is completed within the given timeframe.