Are These the Movies We've Been Waiting For?

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary: Ok, I would put it on the bottom of the list of movies I gave. But still, its not THAT bad.In summary, the following movies are all good and you should see them.
but just because I disagree with certain views expressed in films doesn't mean I have to hate them, nor does it affect their quality. You can't honestly say that Braveheart is the worst film ever (though I'll admit I think it's overrated)

Go here for films worse than Braveheart

Physics news on Phys.org
yomamma said:
What! They've got Santa Claus Conquers the Martians in the bottom 100?! No way!

This was a great movie!

yomamma said:
This is the worst film of all time,

With Heidi Fleiss? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yep, that sounds pretty bad.

yomamma said:
but just because I disagree with certain views expressed in films doesn't mean I have to hate them, nor does it affect their quality. You can't honestly say that Braveheart is the worst film ever (though I'll admit I think it's overrated)

Its just not at all accurate and I don't like that. The agenda of the whole film seems twisted to me. Anyway if you enjoy it just remember its a complete work of fiction that was 'inspired' by some historical events.

I'm surprised they haven't made Revenge of the Killer Bikini Vampire Girls yet.

Gokul43201 said:
How could you possibly say that? They certainly do reflect in the content of his films and that does indirectly affect their quality. You can watch a scene from one of his movies and tell what he had for breakfast that morning! It's starting to get incredibly repetitive now.

My, uh, girlfriend and I are always joking about the plot of every Mel Gibson movie: Man has his family either threatened or killed, giving him an excuse to go ape**** in exacting bloody revenge.

I need to watch Solaris some time when I'm not tired. I had trouble concentrating during it, and couldn't tell what was going on half the time, though I got it fine at the end.

This is interesting.
If you've seen Tarkovsky's brilliant "Solyaris" this film will seem more like an Americanized tribute than a Hollywoodization of a great piece of Soviet cinema. Some will likely ask why Soderbergh bothered to make this film if he couldn't improve on the original. Personally, I could not care less. This is a great film, and shows that it is possible for Americans to remake classic non-American films sensitively, intelligently and well.

I wonder if the original is available on disc.

As for being tired and not making sense, this stretches things a bit but makes the point:
To cut to the chase - if you like sci-fi with a soul,which stretches the boundaries of imagination, explores the uncharted realms of the human condition as much as the unknown realities of the universe, and swims upstream against the currents of ethics, physics, and even metaphysics, you will probably enjoy this moody, slow, multi-leveled and heavily textured film.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307479/#comment

:O this thread has 666 views

So what's so interesting about the number 666, anyway?

Gokul43201 said:

The weight of the gold that Solomon received yearly was 666 talents
1 Kings 10:14

the jim carey movie 23 looks kind of interesting

hint:2 divided by 3 is?

Gokul43201 said:

LOL actually 666 is quite a fiendishly interesting number :rofl: .

-I thought everyone and their mother knew that 666 in roman numerals is actually all the roman numerals (except M) DCLXVI=666.

-"666" is the combination of the mysterious suitcase retrieved by Vincent Vega (John Travolta) and Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson) in Quentin Tarantino's 1994 film Pulp Fiction.

-Various conspiracy theories, including the novel The Da Vinci Code (Brown 2003, p. 22), have suggested that the glass pyramid at the Louvre museum in Paris is dedicated to the Beast and therefore constructed of exactly 666 panes of glass.

-the beast number is equal to the sum of the squares of the first 7 primes
2^2+3^2+5^2+7^2+11^2+13^2+17^2=666

-phi(666)=6.6.6,

where phi is the totient function.

-The number 666 is a sum and difference of the first three 6th powers,
666=1^6-2^6+3^6

-Another curious identity is that there are exactly two ways to insert "+" signs into the sequence 123456789 to make the sum 666, and exactly one way for the sequence 987654321,
666=1+2+3+4+567+89=123+456+78+9
(4)
666=9+87+6+543+21

-666 is the sum of the numbers on a roulette wheel

-A number x in which the first n decimal digits of the fractional part frac(x) sum to 666 is known as an evil number

-Wang (1994) showed that
phi=-2sin(666 degrees)=-2cos(6x6x6 degrees),
where phi is the golden ratio, which can be combined to give
phi==-[sin(666 degrees)+cos(6x6x6 degrees)]

-There are exactly 6 6's in 666^6

-666 is a repdigit and also a triangular number.

And then they discovered that 666 really wasn't the number of the beast.

Kurdt said:
And then they discovered that 666 really wasn't the number of the beast.
And along comes my fellow QI-mate!

Gokul43201 said:
And along comes my fellow QI-mate!

Well its a good show :biggrin:

The preview for 23 made me roll my eyes 23 times. I hate numerology.

I've been scouring the Sci Fi shelves at the video store while my wife is out of town. Along with Solaris, I ran across another one that I had never heard about before but really liked - Brazil. It doesn't quite meet the high standard that Solaris does, but it is certainly a unique film and worth the watch.

Brazil (first released on February 20, 1985 in France) is a dystopic black comedy feature film directed by Monty Python member Terry Gilliam. It was written by Terry Gilliam, Charles McKeown, and Tom Stoppard. It stars Jonathan Pryce, and features Robert De Niro, Kim Greist, Michael Palin, Katherine Helmond, Bob Hoskins, and Ian Holm. Co-writer McKeown also has a small role.

Jack Mathews, movie critic and author of The Battle of Brazil (1987), characterized the film as "satirizing the bureaucratic, largely dysfunctional industrial world that had been driving [Gilliam] crazy all his life."[1]

...Beginning "somewhere in the 20th century" at 8:49PM, the retro-futuristic world of Brazil is a gritty, post-apocalyptic, urban landscape in which terrorist attacks, counter-terrorist measures and a bureaucratic quagmire make everyday life difficult...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_(film )

Retro-futuristic sounds right... I didn't know what to call it! It is also a satire about the information age.

Tom Stoppard also wrote one of my favorite plays - Arcadia.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also watched what must be one of the worst SciFi movies of all time - Dark Star. Most of the movie is not even worth mentioning, but the last ten minutes were funny. The mission of the deep space planet destroyer, Dark Star, is to seek out potentially habitable solar systems, and to destroy planets that occupy unstable orbits in those sytems. The crew of Dark Star does this by using the very intelligent [to be point of being conversational] Thermostellar bombs.

A systems failure results in a failed launch of bomb number twenty, which then refuses to cancel the scheduled detonation. The bomb explains that it has valid orders to detonate, so that's what it is going to do. So in a last ditch effort to avoid disaster, the commander of the ship challenges Bomb to prove that it exists - he introduces the bomb to Descarte! At the last second, Bomb Twenty realizes that it can never be sure that any order is valid, so it stops the countdown to ponder the paradox.

Unfortunately, Bomb Twenty eventually concludes that it must be God, and therefore declares: "Let there be light!"

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I also watched what must be one of the worst SciFi movies of all time - Dark Star. Most of the movie is not even worth mentioning, but the last ten minutes were funny. The mission of the deep space planet destroyer, Dark Star, is to seek out potentially habitable solar systems, and to destroy planets that occupy unstable orbits in those sytems. The crew of Dark Star does this by using the very intelligent [to be point of being conversational] Thermostellar bombs.

A systems failure results in a failed launch of bomb number twenty, which then refuses to cancel the scheduled detonation. The bomb explains that it has valid orders to detonate, so that's what it is going to do. So in a last ditch effort to avoid disaster, the commander of the ship challenges Bomb to prove that it exists - he introduces the bomb to Descarte! At the last second, Bomb Twenty realizes that it can never be sure that any order is valid, so it stops the countdown to ponder the paradox.

Unfortunately, Bomb Twenty eventually concludes that it must be God, and therefore declares: "Let there be light!"

:rofl: :rofl:

the whole bomb with intelligence concept and having to negotiate with it makes it sound a worth while watch as a comedy for me.

Kurdt said:
:rofl: :rofl:

the whole bomb with intelligence concept and having to negotiate with it makes it sound a worth while watch as a comedy for me.

I wouldn't have posted such a spoiler if the rest of the movie wasn't so completely worthless, but if you must...:rolleyes: I hope you enjoy the thirty minutes of battle between a crewman, and a beach ball with penguin feet. :biggrin:

loseyourname said:
My, uh, girlfriend and I are always joking about the plot of every Mel Gibson movie: Man has his family either threatened or killed, giving him an excuse to go ape**** in exacting bloody revenge.

True, except for The Passion.

We Were Soldiers doesn't fit either.

Another exception : Payback. In Payback, no one in his family is killed/threatened, in fact, his wife is the one doing the near-lethal betrayal here. Payback's a pretty cool movie.

I guess Lethal Weapon sort of counts : his wife had been murdered, then his "surrogate family" got threatened/kidnapped, so it sort of fits the pattern. Much more obvious in the sequels : LW2 had his current gf being murdered (and the revelation that the same baddies had done in his wife years back), then the threats to the pregnant partner in the later sequels, etc. etc.

But the rest pretty much fit : Mad Max, Braveheart, The Patriot, even Ransom (murder by proxy of the kidnappers).

gravenewworld said:
the jim carey movie 23 looks kind of interesting

hint:2 divided by 3 is?

~0.66666666666666666666666666666667 according to my windows calculator :wink: :smile:

I just saw two quirky movies that I really enjoyed.

Six String Samurai - A man reminiscent of Buddy Hollly must travel to Lost Vegas to claim the kingdom of Elvis. On his journey he chops up a bunch of stuff with his sword and throws in a bunch of cheesy 50's era one liners.

Cemetery Man (Dellamorte Dellamore) - I've always been a big fan of any zombie movie, even bad ones. This one is disturbing in so many ways. It's more of a psychological horror than a zombie thriller. In the whole movie only one person is killed by a zombie at all. Only the cemetary keeper and his companion Nagi know about the zombies. The movie opens with a zombie walking into the keeper's house and he nonchalantly blasts him with his revolver as he steps out of the shower. He thinks he doesn't get paid enough because he has to bury the dead twice, but is afraid of losing his job if he tells the mayor about the problem at this cemetary. I laughed my rear end off at this movie.