1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a 2x2 Matrix with given EigenValues

1. Jul 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a 2X2 matrix that has all non-zero entries where 3 is an eigenvalue

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    well since the 2x2 matrix cannot be triangular, it makes things harder for me.
    I have no idea where to start. I am not given any eigenvectors either.
    It seems like a simple problem, but I've been stuck on it for a while.

If I did not have the zero entries restriction i would have selected 2x2 matrix
    A= {{3,0}{0,3}}τ

Can Someone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

The eigenvalue equation is for the 2X2 matrix, if written as a system of homogeneous equations, will have a solution if the determinant of the matrix of coefficients is zero. So we have the equation ## \lambda^2-(a+d)\lambda+ad-bc=0## where ## \lambda ## is the given eigenvalue and a,b,c and d are the unknown matrix entries. So we have one equation for four unknowns which means this is an under-determined system. So there are an infinite number of 2X2 matrices with a given eigenvalue. Just choose three of the entries arbitrarily and determine the fourth via the above equation.

4. Jul 23, 2015 #3
    thanks for your help Shyan Using that system I was able to solve my problem :)

5. Jul 24, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, while you said that "3 is an eigenvalue", you did NOT say that it was the only eigenvalue, a double eigenvalue. Even assuming that there are an infinite number of such 2 by 2 matrices. One way to find one is to start with the diagonal matrix [tex]M= \begin{bmatrix}3 & 0 \\ 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]. Now, for any invertible matrix, A, [itex]AMA^{-1}[/itex] will have the same eigenvalues so you only need to choose A so that has no 0 entries.

Completely different solutions can be found by starting, not with a diagonal matrix, but with the "Jordan Normal Form", [tex]M= \begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 \\ 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

6. Jul 24, 2015 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

If [itex]M[/itex] is a multiple of the identity, then it commutes with [itex]A[/itex] so that [itex]AMA^{-1} = MAA^{-1} = M[/itex], which has zero entries.

This is necessary if 3 is to be a repeated eigenvalue, but the question doesn't require that.

7. Jul 25, 2015 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Good points- thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted