Find a Basis for the Subspace of R4

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tempest Desh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Basis Subspace
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Tempest Desh
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find a basis for the subspace of R4 spanned by S.


Homework Equations



S: {(2,9,-2,53), (-3,2,3,-2), (8,-3,-8,17), (0,-3,0,15)}

I've attempted this using a matrix and row reducing it. I'm just not sure if there's another simpler way, as I keep on getting incorrect numbers in the matrix, when I try and put it in row-echelon format. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

See you on the flipside,

Tempest Desh
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It really might help a lot to figure out what you are doing wrong if you showed us what you got when you row reduced it. Wouldn't it? That is the right way to do it.