Find a basis of a subspace of R^4

In other words, the given vectors are already a basis for the span. So your answer was incorrect because it was trying to find a different basis than the given vectors.In summary, the given vectors [2,1,0,-1], [-1,1,1,1], [2,7,4,5] are already a basis for the span and cannot be reduced any further. Your attempt to find a different basis with the RREF method was incorrect as the given vectors are linearly independent.
greendays
Find a basis of the given span{[2,1,0,-1],[-1,1,1,1],[2,7,4,5]}

So I got the RREF, and found the basis to be two rows of the RREF, which are [1,0,-1/3,0] and [0,1,2/3,1], but the answer is [2,1,0,-1],[-1,1,1,1]

Where did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the first vector of the two answer vectors is supposed to be [2,1,0,-1] then you got the same answer as the book - only you are spanning the space with different vectors.

greendays said:
Find a basis of the given span{[2,1,0,-1],[-1,1,1,1],[2,7,4,5]}

So I got the RREF, and found the basis to be two rows of the RREF, which are [1,0,-1/3,0] and [0,1,2/3,1], but the answer is [2,1,0,-1],[-1,1,1,1]

Where did I do wrong?

As Robert1986 indicated, the solution is not unique, so you can have a correct answer that doesn't match the book.

However, your answer is incorrect. You didn't show your work, so I can't say what you did wrong. But your vectors do not span the same subspace as the given vectors. There is no linear combination of your two vectors that will give you [2, 1, 0, -1].

If

a[1, 0, -1/3, 0] + b[0, 1, 2/3, 1] = [2, 1, 0, -1]

then equality of the first coordinate forces a = 2, and equality of the second coordinate forces b = 1. But then you don't get equality in the fourth coordinate.

jbunniii said:
As Robert1986 indicated, the solution is not unique, so you can have a correct answer that doesn't match the book.

However, your answer is incorrect. You didn't show your work, so I can't say what you did wrong. But your vectors do not span the same subspace as the given vectors. There is no linear combination of your two vectors that will give you [2, 1, 0, -1].

If

a[1, 0, -1/3, 0] + b[0, 1, 2/3, 1] = [2, 1, 0, -1]

then equality of the first coordinate forces a = 2, and equality of the second coordinate forces b = 1. But then you don't get equality in the fourth coordinate.

Wow - I can't add!

I find that the three vectors are linearly independent.

1. What is a basis of a subspace?

A basis of a subspace is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. This means that any vector in the subspace can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. How do you find a basis of a subspace?

To find a basis of a subspace, you can use the process of elimination. Start with a set of vectors that span the subspace and then eliminate any linearly dependent vectors until you are left with a set of linearly independent vectors. These vectors will form the basis of the subspace.

3. Why is finding a basis important?

Finding a basis of a subspace is important because it allows us to represent any vector in the subspace as a linear combination of the basis vectors. This makes it easier to perform calculations and understand the properties of the subspace.

4. Can a subspace have more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can have more than one basis. This is because there can be multiple sets of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. However, all bases of a subspace will have the same number of vectors, known as the dimension of the subspace.

5. How does finding a basis relate to the dimension of a subspace?

The number of vectors in a basis is equal to the dimension of the subspace. This means that finding a basis is one way to determine the dimension of a subspace. Additionally, the basis vectors can be used to create a basis matrix, which can be used to find the dimension of the subspace as well as perform other calculations.