1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a direct summand of a finite abelian group

1. Jul 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If G is a finite abelian group, and x is an element of maximal order, then <x> is a direct summand of G.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I claim that the hypothesis implies that A = G\<x> [itex]\bigcup[/itex] {e} is a subgroup of G. If so, then since G = < <x> [itex]\bigcup[/itex] A>, and <x> [itex]\bigcap[/itex] A = <e>, that G = <x> [itex]\oplus[/itex] A.

Pf of claim: A is obviously associative, has an identity by definition, and since <x> is a group, b [itex]\in[/itex] A [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] b^-1 [itex]\in[/itex] A. I'm struggling to show that A is closed.

I feel the key is that I must show that if a,b [itex]\in[/itex] G, and [itex]\exists[/itex]x such that ab [itex]\in[/itex] <x>, then [itex]\exists[/itex]y[itex]\in[/itex]G such that a,b [itex]\in[/itex] <y>. Then the maximality of |x| will require y=x, whence A is closed. But I need a nudge here. I just can't get a rigorous proof of this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think that what you're trying to prove is false. That is: [itex](G\setminus <x>) \cup \{e\}[/itex] is not a subgroup.

4. Jul 20, 2012 #3
    Since G is finite abelian, G [itex]\cong[/itex] [itex]\sum[/itex] [itex]\textbf{Z}_{p_{i}^{n_i}}[/itex]. If |x| has maximal order, then isn't A just removing one of the direct summands, so that, say, A [itex]\cong[/itex] [itex]\sum[/itex] [itex]<e> \oplus \textbf{Z}_{p_{i}^{n_i}}[/itex], with [itex] i \geq 2[/itex], which is a subgroup?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook