Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a polynomial of degree THREE with zeros 0 and i

1. Dec 10, 2003 #1
    any know how to do these:

the domain of the function F(x)=1 over 1-x is.....

find an equation of a line passing through (-4,-5) and perpendicular to the line 2x + y = -4

find a polynomial of degree THREE with zeros 0 and i

the system of equations x+3y-z=5
    3x-y+z=-3
    2x+y=1 how many solutions

[?] [?]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2003 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What class is this for?

Question 1:
    Find the domain of
    [tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{1-x}[/tex]

The domain is the set of all [tex]x[/tex] so that [tex]f(x)[/tex] exists. (Hint: what is [tex]\frac{1}{0}[/tex]?)

Question 2:
    You'll need to use slope (or something similar) to do this problem.

Question 3:
    Do you know what the zeros of a polynomial are, or what the degree of a polynomial is?

Question 4:
    Can you find any solutions to the system of equations?

4. Dec 10, 2003 #3
    its for college algebra...i'm doing my review for my exam and I have no clue how to do most of these problems

5. Dec 10, 2003 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So what are your ideas on question 1?

Do you know what 'domain' means?

6. Dec 11, 2003 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you mean that your textbook doesn't even define these terms? Does it have an index?

Most of the problems are just applications of the index. You can't find the domain of a function if you don't know (precisely) what "domain" means!

Look up "domain", "slope", "polynomial" in the index of your book and read the definitions.

I'm not being sarcastic here (well, I'm trying really hard not to be!). Most beginning math students don't understand how important it is to know the precise definitions, not just have a "general idea" what something is.

7. Dec 11, 2003 #6
    These are the foundation problems which is better to understand yourself than posting unless and until u have some problem grasping the concept

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?