Find a rectangular equation for the surface

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution x=u : y=v : z=(1/2)vThe Attempt at a Solution x=u : y=v : z=(1/2)vbecause x=u and y=v, x & y are the parametersr(x,y)=x+y+(1/2)y=x+(3/2)y
stevecallaway

Homework Statement

r(u,v)=u i +v j +(1/2)v k

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x=u : y=v : z=(1/2)v
because x=u and y=v, x & y are the parameters
so r(x,y)=x+y+(1/2)y=x+(3/2)y
but the answer says it is y-2z=0. What am I not seeing correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
stevecallaway said:

Homework Statement

r(u,v)=u i +v j +(1/2)v k

x=u : y=v : z=(1/2)v
because x=u and y=v, x & y are the parameters
so r(x,y)=x+y+(1/2)y=x+(3/2)y

But r is given as a vector, so this last equation makes no sense. What you want to do is eliminate the u,v,w variables as much as possible. Do you see a relation between y and z? And it looks like y and z don't depend on x...

I think I see a relation between y and z and that is y=2z. So is that all that I'm supposed to do is find a relationship from among the original equation and have that equal to zero? Because y-2z=0 is supposed to be the answer, but what happens to the u i?

The vector parametric form is one way to write the equation of a surface. An equation of the form f(x,y,z)=0 is another way. The parametric way is written as a vector function and the other way as a scalar equation. Your vector representation is equivalent to your three equations: x=u, y=v, z=(1/2)v. In this case there is the relation y = 2z which is independent of x, which can be anything. You would normally write the equation y = 2z. The other variable, which is now missing, can be anything. This is characteristic of a cylindrical surface -- it is just the plane formed by taking the line y = 2z in the zy plane and extending or "sweeping" it in the x direction.

[Edit] typos

1. What is a rectangular equation for a surface?

A rectangular equation for a surface is an equation that describes the coordinates of points on a three-dimensional surface in terms of two independent variables, typically x and y. It is often used in mathematics and physics to describe the shape and behavior of a surface.

2. How is a rectangular equation for a surface different from a linear equation?

A linear equation is a two-dimensional equation that describes a line, while a rectangular equation for a surface is a three-dimensional equation that describes a surface. Linear equations have two variables, while rectangular equations for surfaces have two independent variables and one dependent variable.

3. What information is needed to find a rectangular equation for a surface?

To find a rectangular equation for a surface, you will need to know the general form of the equation, which includes the type of surface (e.g. plane, sphere, cylinder), the coordinates of any known points on the surface, and any other relevant information such as the slope or curvature of the surface.

4. How do I graph a surface using a rectangular equation?

To graph a surface using a rectangular equation, you will need to plot points on a three-dimensional coordinate system using the x and y variables as well as the dependent variable. These points can then be connected to create a visual representation of the surface. Alternatively, there are also graphing calculators and computer programs that can generate graphs of surfaces based on their rectangular equations.

5. Can a rectangular equation for a surface be converted into a polar equation?

Yes, it is possible to convert a rectangular equation for a surface into a polar equation. This is often done to simplify the equation or to better understand the behavior of the surface. However, the process of converting between the two types of equations can be complex and may not always be possible.