1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a rectangular equation for the surface

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    r(u,v)=u i +v j +(1/2)v k

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    x=u : y=v : z=(1/2)v
    because x=u and y=v, x & y are the parameters
    so r(x,y)=x+y+(1/2)y=x+(3/2)y
    but the answer says it is y-2z=0. What am I not seeing correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But r is given as a vector, so this last equation makes no sense. What you want to do is eliminate the u,v,w variables as much as possible. Do you see a relation between y and z? And it looks like y and z don't depend on x...

4. Nov 18, 2009 #3
    I think I see a relation between y and z and that is y=2z. So is that all that I'm supposed to do is find a relationship from among the original equation and have that equal to zero? Because y-2z=0 is supposed to be the answer, but what happens to the u i?

5. Nov 18, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The vector parametric form is one way to write the equation of a surface. An equation of the form f(x,y,z)=0 is another way. The parametric way is written as a vector function and the other way as a scalar equation. Your vector representation is equivalent to your three equations: x=u, y=v, z=(1/2)v. In this case there is the relation y = 2z which is independent of x, which can be anything. You would normally write the equation y = 2z. The other variable, which is now missing, can be anything. This is characteristic of a cylindrical surface -- it is just the plane formed by taking the line y = 2z in the zy plane and extending or "sweeping" it in the x direction.

[Edit] typos

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook