Find a subset of the real numbers

In summary, the author is wondering if $\{q_n\}$ is an enumeration of the rationals and if so, whether or not he can take a subset with a small measure. After thinking about it, he realizes that he needs to change the $\epsilon/2$ in his $A_n$ to $\epsilon/2^{n+2}$, which makes the set open and dense with $\mu(A) < \epsilon$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I have to find an open and dense subset of the real numbers with arbitrarily small measure.

Since the set of the rational numbers is dense, could we use a subset of the rationals?? (Wondering)

How could I find such a subset, that the measure is arbitrarily small?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Could I take the subset $$A_n= \left ( q_n-\frac{\epsilon}{2}, q_n+\frac{\epsilon}{2} \right ), \epsilon>0$$ ?? (Wondering)

Then $A= \cup_n A_n$.

$$\mu(A)=\mu \left ( \cup_n A_n \right ) \leq \sum_n \mu (A_n)=\sum_n \mu \left ( \left ( q_n-\frac{\epsilon}{2}, q_n+\frac{\epsilon}{2} \right ) \right )=\sum_n \epsilon$$

mathmari said:
Could I take the subset $$A_n= \left ( q_n-\frac{\epsilon}{2}, q_n+\frac{\epsilon}{2} \right ), \epsilon>0$$ ?? (Wondering)

Then $A= \cup_n A_n$.

$$\mu(A)=\mu \left ( \cup_n A_n \right ) \leq \sum_n \mu (A_n)=\sum_n \mu \left ( \left ( q_n-\frac{\epsilon}{2}, q_n+\frac{\epsilon}{2} \right ) \right )=\sum_n \epsilon$$

Is $\{q_n\}_{n=1}^\infty$ an enumeration of the rationals? If so, then you are on the right track. You should change the $\epsilon/2$ in your $A_n$ to $\epsilon/2^{n+2}$. Then your $A$ is open and dense, with $\mu(A) < \epsilon$.

Euge said:
Is $\{q_n\}_{n=1}^\infty$ an enumeration of the rationals?

What do you mean by "an enumeration of rationals"?? (Wondering)

Euge said:
You should change the $\epsilon/2$ in your $A_n$ to $\epsilon/2^{n+2}$. Then your $A$ is open and dense, with $\mu(A) < \epsilon$.

Yes, you're right! (Yes)

By changing the $\epsilon/2$ to $\epsilon/2^{n+2}$ we get the sum $$\sum_n \frac{\epsilon}{2^{n+1}}=\frac{\epsilon}{2} \sum_n \left ( \frac{1}{2} \right )^n=\frac{\epsilon}{2}2=\epsilon$$ (Mmm)

mathmari said:
What do you mean by "an enumeration of rationals"?? (Wondering)
It means that the map $f : \Bbb N \to \Bbb Q$ given by $f(n) = q_n$ for all $n\in \Bbb N$, is a bijection.

mathmari said:
By changing the $\epsilon/2$ to $\epsilon/2^{n+2}$ we get the sum $$\sum_n \frac{\epsilon}{2^{n+1}}=\frac{\epsilon}{2} \sum_n \left ( \frac{1}{2} \right )^n=\frac{\epsilon}{2}2=\epsilon$$ (Mmm)

You're very close, but since we're summing over all $n\ge 1$,

\(\displaystyle \sum_n \frac{\epsilon}{2^{n+1}} = \frac{\epsilon}{2} < \epsilon.\)

Euge said:
It means that the map $f : \Bbb N \to \Bbb Q$ given by $f(n) = q_n$ for all $n\in \Bbb N$, is a bijection.

I understand!

So, do I have to mention it before I take this subset?? (Wondering)
Euge said:
You're very close, but since we're summing over all $n\ge 1$,

\(\displaystyle \sum_n \frac{\epsilon}{2^{n+1}} = \frac{\epsilon}{2} < \epsilon.\)

Oh, I see! (flower)

mathmari said:
I understand!

So, do I have to mention it before I take this subset?? (Wondering)

You just need to mention in the beginning that $\{q_n\}$ is an enumeration of the rationals.

Euge said:
You just need to mention in the beginning that $\{q_n\}$ is an enumeration of the rationals.

Ok! Thanks a lot! (Happy)

Related to Find a subset of the real numbers

1. What are subsets of real numbers?

Subsets of real numbers refer to a collection of numbers that are a part of the set of real numbers. These subsets can be formed by selecting specific numbers or a range of numbers from the set of real numbers.

2. How can I find a subset of real numbers?

To find a subset of real numbers, you can start by identifying the specific numbers or range of numbers that you want to include in your subset. Then, you can use set notation or interval notation to express the subset. For example, if you want to create a subset of even numbers from the set of real numbers, you can write it as {x | x is an even number}.

3. Can a subset of real numbers be infinite?

Yes, a subset of real numbers can be infinite. This means that the subset contains an unlimited number of elements. For instance, the subset of natural numbers from the set of real numbers is infinite as it continues to increase without any limit.

4. How do I know if a number belongs to a subset of real numbers?

To determine if a number belongs to a subset of real numbers, you can use the set notation or interval notation to check if the number is included in the subset. If the number satisfies the conditions of the subset, then it belongs to the subset of real numbers.

5. What is the importance of subsets of real numbers in mathematics?

Subsets of real numbers are important in mathematics as they provide a way to organize and categorize numbers. They also allow for the creation of sets with specific properties or characteristics, which can be useful in solving mathematical problems and proving theorems. Additionally, subsets of real numbers help to understand the relationships between different sets of numbers and their properties.