Find a vector perpendicular to these vectors

The cross product is not multiplication- it is a completely different operation. It is useful in physics because it is so useful in geometry. There are other ways to define the cross product, and other operations on vectors that are useful in physics but not so useful in geometry.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

a = i + 2j + 7k
b = i + j - 2k

Homework Equations

a.b = |a||b|Cos(x)
a x b = |a||b|Sin(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

So a.b = 0
a x b = |a||b|

|a| = sqrt(54)
|b| = sqrt(6)

a x b = sqrt(324)

Have I acutally got anywhere?

Thanks
Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
thomas49th said:

Homework Equations

a x b = |a||b|Sin(x)
(...)
a x b = sqrt(324)
This is nonsense. The LHS is a vector, while the RHS is a scalar. Correct is: |a x b|=|a||b|sin(x), where x is the angle between a and b.

You are somewhat on the right track: the cross product a x b is a vector perpendicular to both a and b, so all you have to do is compute a x b. You have only calculated the norm of a x b, namely |a x b|=sqrt(324). But you want to compute the vector a x b itself!

You should know how to do this. Try again.

thomas49th said:

Homework Statement

a = i + 2j + 7k
b = i + j - 2k

So a.b = 0
[tex]a{\cdot}b[/tex] is not zero. Those two vectors aren't perpendicular to each other. You don't need to know that to solve this problem, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

The cross product of two vector is perpendicular to the original vectors.

[tex]\vec{a}X\vec{b}=\vec{c}\Rightarrow \vec{c}[/tex] perpendicular to [tex]\vec{a} [/tex] and [tex]\vec{b}[/tex]

yungman said:
The cross product of two vector is perpendicular to the original vectors.

[tex]\vec{a}X\vec{b}=\vec{c}\Rightarrow \vec{c}[/tex] perpendicular to [tex]\vec{a} [/tex] and [tex]\vec{b}[/tex]
Landau said:
the cross product a x b is a vector perpendicular to both a and b
I am curious: why would you repeat something that has already been clearly mentioned?

thomas49th said:

Homework Statement

a = i + 2j + 7k
b = i + j - 2k

Homework Equations

a.b = |a||b|Cos(x)
a x b = |a||b|Sin(x)
Here is your basic error. This is NOT "a x b", it is the length of a x b. a x b is a vector, not a number.

So a.b = 0
a x b = |a||b|

|a| = sqrt(54)
|b| = sqrt(6)

a x b = sqrt(324)

Have I acutally got anywhere?

Thanks
Tom

Right how about using determinants. I get

-11i + 9j - k

and that is the right answer, but why is that vector perpendicular to both the other vectors? Why by multiplying vectors a and b together do I get a new vector with is perpendicular to both?

Thanks
Thomas

does it have something to do with ijkijk (i x j = k)

more specifically my question noew is

why using the determinants
i j k
1 2 7
1 1 -2

Do I get a vector that is perpendicular to both of these vectors? Perpendicular where exactly? Is this a special case that a vector will be perpendicular to both vectors or is this true for any vector?

Thanks
Thomas

thomas49th said:

i j k
1 2 7
1 1 -2

Do I get a vector that is perpendicular to both of these vectors? Perpendicular where exactly? Is this a special case that a vector will be perpendicular to both vectors or is this true for any vector?

Thanks
Thomas

It is a general rule that the cross product of two vectors (they can be whatever) gives a second vector prependicular to both the original vectors. So why prependicular? If we take a x b = c, then you can easily check a.(a x b) = a.c = 0 = b.(a x b)= b.c. Remember that if the cross product vanishes, then no such vector would be obtained.

AB

thomas49th said:
why using the determinant

[tex]\left| \begin{array}{ccc}
\hat{i} & \hat{j} & \hat{k} \\
1 & 2 & 7 \\
1 & 1 & -2 \end{array} \right|[/tex]

I don't know of a reason other than to say it's a consequence of the definition of the cross product. Some definitions say that the cross product is the vector perpendicular to the other two, i.e. it's perpendicular by definition. Other definitions tell you how to compute the components of the cross product, and then you can prove that that resulting vector is perpendicular to the other two.

To discuss the question "why is the cross product of a and b perpendicular to these initial two vectors" - can you not just take this intuitive step from the result? If you perform the cross product operation on any two vectors, which define a 2D plane, the result will always be perpendicular to this plane. It may help to try this out for simple cases, like define a and b to be directly along the x and Y axis respectively, and then prove to yourself that the cross product of these is along the Z direction. Hope this helps

thomas49th said:

i j k
1 2 7
1 1 -2

Thanks
Thomas
There are several different ways of defining the cross product. The simplest is: If [itex]\vec{u}= a_x\vec{i}+ a_y\vec{j}+ a_z\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}= b_x\vec{i}+ b_y\ve{j}+ b_z\vec{k}[/itex] then [itex]\vec{u}\times\vec{v}= (a_yb_z- a_zb_y)\vec{i}- (a_xb_z- a_zb_x)\vec{j}+ (a_xb_y- a_yb_x)\vec{k}[/itex], which then leads to that (purely symbolic) "determinant" calculation.

It should be easy to see that
[tex]\vec{u}\cdot (\vec{u}\times\vec{v})= (a_xa_yb_z-a_xa_zb_y)- (a_ya_yb_z- a_ya_zb_x)[/tex][tex]+ a_za_xby_y- a_za_yb_x= (a_xa_yb_z- a_xa_yb_z)[/tex][tex]+ (-a_xa_zb_y+ a_xa_zb_y)+ (a_ya_zb_x- a_ya_zb_x)= 0[/tex]
and that
[tex]\vec{v}\cdot (\vec{u}\times\vec{v})= (b_xa_yb_z- b_xa_zb_y)- (b_ya_yb_z- b_ya_zb_x)[/tex][tex]+ b_za_xb_y- b_za_yb_x= 0[/tex]

The fact that [itex]\vec{u}\times\vec{v}[/itex] is always perpendicular to both [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is the main use of the cross product.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of a vector perpendicular to another vector?

A vector perpendicular to another vector is a vector that forms a 90-degree angle with the given vector. This means that the dot product of the two vectors is equal to 0.

2. How can I find a vector perpendicular to a given vector?

To find a vector perpendicular to a given vector, you can use the cross product. The cross product of two vectors will result in a vector that is perpendicular to both of them. Another way is to calculate the dot product of the given vector with two arbitrary vectors and set the results to 0 to find the values of the arbitrary vectors.

3. Are there any special properties of vectors that are perpendicular to each other?

Yes, two vectors that are perpendicular to each other are called orthogonal vectors. Orthogonal vectors have a dot product of 0 and are also linearly independent, meaning they are not multiples of each other.

4. Can a vector be perpendicular to more than two vectors?

Yes, a vector can be perpendicular to more than two vectors in three-dimensional space. This is because there is an infinite number of vectors that can be perpendicular to a given vector in three-dimensional space.

5. Why is finding a vector perpendicular to other vectors important?

Finding a vector perpendicular to other vectors is important in many applications, such as physics and engineering. For example, in physics, the force of gravity is perpendicular to the surface of an object. In engineering, perpendicular vectors are used to represent forces and velocities in different directions, making calculations and problem-solving easier.