1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a vector such that directional derivative is zero

1. Jun 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]f (x, y) = e^x^2 + 3e^y[/tex] . At the point (0, 1) find:
    (a) a vector u such that the directional derivative [tex]D_u f[/tex] is maximum and write down this maximum value,
    (b) a vector v such that [tex]D_v f = 0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

grad f / directional derivative formula

3. The attempt at a solution

I can find part (a), simply calculate the gradient vector, but part (b) I don't know what to do. The answer given is:

(b) Dv f is zero when v is tangent to the level curve passing through (0, 1), i.e. when v = i
    (or some multiple of this).

I don't understand what this means.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2009 #2
    well, you probbably know that:

[tex]D_uf=grad{f}*u=|grad{f}||u|cos \theta=|grad{f}|[/tex]

you only need to fill in the details. theta is the angle between grad{f} and u.

4. Jun 12, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean [tex]D_v f= 0[/tex]?

Along a level curve, the function is a constant. (That's what "level curve" means!). That's why the derivative in that direction is 0. You can also do this by using the formula for derivative in the direction of unit vector v: [itex]D_v f= \nabla f\cdot v[/itex]. The dot product of those two vectors will be 0 when they are perpendicular. Of course, a unit vector that makes angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the x-axis is [itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex] so you can also say that the derivative in the direction making angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the x-axis is [itex]cos(\theta) \partial f/\partial x+ sin(\theta)\partial f/\partial y[/itex].

It shouldn't be too hard to see that if you are standing on a mountain looking up the steepest direction, the steepest direction down is right behind you and the trail around the mountain, the level curve, is to your side- at right angles to the "steepest" way.

The gradient is always perpendicular to a level curve.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  5. Jun 12, 2009 #4
    The explanation above is good.

So, if say the gradient vector was i + 2j, then a vector such that Dv f = 0 would be +- (2i - j) ?

6. Jun 12, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that would work.

7. Jun 12, 2009 #6
    Ok, got it, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook