Find a vector tangent to the curve of intersection of two cylinders

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the reasoning behind taking gradients and cross products in a 3D space scenario. Gradients are analogous to derivatives in 2D space and yield normal vectors to a point on a curve. The cross product is used to find a vector perpendicular to two given vectors. There is a typo in the final answer, which should be T = -4i - 4j + 4k instead of -4i - 4j - 4k.
s3a
I have attached both the question and the solution.

I just have questions as to why the solution is the way it is (sorry if they seem stupid but, while I get how to do it mechanically, I don't understand the fundamental reasoning as to why anything is being done):

1) Why are we taking the gradients?
2) Why are we then taking the cross product of the two gradients?

My attempt to answer these questions (I'd still appreciate confirmation for stuff that I am right about):

Gradients at a point in 3D spaces are analogous to derivatives at a point in 2D spaces but taking the gradient of a curve in 3D space yields a normal vector to a point on the curve instead of a line tangent to the curve in the 2D space scenario. I'm guessing these two gradient vectors are supposed to be perpendicular and that finding their cross product would yield a tangent vector to the intersection of the two curves but I don't get why this is so.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• P4_Question.jpg
    P4_Question.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 853
  • P4_Solution.jpg
    P4_Solution.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,096
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Right as far as the gradients being normals to the surfaces. But the two normals don't have to be perpendicular. If n is a normal to surface A at point x, then n is perpendicular to every tangent vector to the surface at x. If your curve is the intersection of the two surfaces then a tangent is a tangent vector to both surfaces. Which means it is perpendicular to both normals. The cross product is a handy way to find a vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors.

Thanks a lot!

Quick question: The final answer is

T = -4i - 4j + 4k

and not

-4i - 4j - 4k

like the solution says, right? (In other words, there is a "typo", right?)

s3a said:
Quick question: The final answer is

T = -4i - 4j + 4k

and not

-4i - 4j - 4k

like the solution says, right? (In other words, there is a "typo", right?)

I seem to be getting -4i - 4j + 4k.

Thanks again for the confirmation.

1. What is the equation for the curve of intersection of two cylinders?

The equation for the curve of intersection of two cylinders can be found by setting the equations of the two cylinders equal to each other and solving for the variables. The resulting equation will represent the curve of intersection.

2. How do you find the tangent vector to the curve of intersection of two cylinders?

To find the tangent vector to the curve of intersection, you will first need to find the partial derivatives of the equation for the curve of intersection. Then, the tangent vector will be the vector formed by the coefficients of the partial derivatives.

3. Can you use the cross product to find the tangent vector to the curve of intersection of two cylinders?

Yes, the cross product can be used to find the tangent vector to the curve of intersection of two cylinders. The cross product of two vectors will give a vector that is perpendicular to both vectors, which can be used as the tangent vector.

4. Is the tangent vector to the curve of intersection of two cylinders unique?

No, the tangent vector to the curve of intersection of two cylinders is not unique. The direction of the tangent vector will depend on the point on the curve of intersection that you are considering.

5. What is the significance of finding a vector tangent to the curve of intersection of two cylinders?

Finding a vector tangent to the curve of intersection of two cylinders is important in many applications, such as engineering and physics. It can help determine the direction of motion of an object on the curve, or the direction of a force acting on the object.