1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find all Complex 2x2 matrices A

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all Complex 2x2 matrices A such that A2 = A

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]
    \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}
    a & b \\
    c & d \\ \end{array} \right)^2\] = A

[/itex]
    3. The attempt at a solution

A2=A

I need to solve the equations

[itex]
    a^2+bc=a
    [/itex]
    [itex]

(a+d)b =b
    [/itex]
    [itex]

(a+d)c = c\\
    [/itex]
    [itex]

d^2 + bc = d\\
    [/itex]
    What is the best way to do this?

Should I use some kind of rearrangement like

using equation 1 and 4 we get

[itex]
    a^2-d^2=a-d [/itex]

any help greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would think about two cases, that where A-1 exists and where it doesn't exist.

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    Are you talking about when A is an orthogonal matrix so A-1 = AT?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  5. Oct 23, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question is: Is A invertible? If so, then just take A-1 of both sides and what do you get?

6. Oct 23, 2009 #5
    A-1 exist when [itex] ad-cb \neq 0 [/itex]

so
    case 1 [itex] ad-cb \neq 0 [/itex]
    case 2 [itex] ad-cb = 0 [/itex]

7. Oct 23, 2009 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Stop looking at the series of equations you have

If
    A2=A

And A-1 exists

In one step you can find A

8. Oct 23, 2009 #7
    If A is invertable and A2=A
    AA=A
    A-1AA=A-1A
    IA=I

So A = I

9. Oct 23, 2009 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now if A is not invertible, what can you say about how A acts on im(A), its image?

10. Oct 23, 2009 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Think about the fact that if [itex]A^2= A[/itex] then [itex]A^2- A= A(A- I)= 0[/itex]

11. Oct 25, 2009 #10
    Would that mean that the only way that
    [itex]A^2- A= A(A- I)= 0[/itex]
    is that either A = the trivial solution.

[itex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}0 & 0 \\0 & 0 \\ \end{array} \right)\] = A[/itex]
    or

[itex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}-1 & 0 \\0 & -1 \\ \end{array} \right)\] = A[/itex]

regards

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  12. Oct 25, 2009 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's completely wrong thinking. If A and B are matrices AB=0 does NOT mean A=0 or B=0. And [[-1,0],[0,-1]] doesn't work at all. Here's some other ones that do [[1,0],[0,0]], [[1,1],[0,0]], [[1/2,1/2],[1/2,1/2]]. There's LOTS of them. You already followed up on the excellent hint that if A is invertible, then A=I is the only solution. Now suppose A is not invertible. Then det(A)=0, so you can add the condition ad-bc=0 to your original list of equations. That makes it easier. Now go to those equations and start working on cases. You should be able to write down a two parameter family of solutions that satisfy A^2=A besides the zero matrix.

13. Oct 25, 2009 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the record, responders have been suggesting two different methods of approach. Office_Shredder's is a geometric one, and offers more insight into why idempotent matrices are interesting. The other was more algebraic.

I confess I would have suggested yet a different approach, one that starts by looking at the equation (a+d)b=b.

14. Oct 25, 2009 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why is that different from the algebraic approach? I'm just saying that the equations the OP originally posted are a lot easier to solve if you restrict to the case of noninvertible matrices, in which case you can put ad=bc. LCKurtz already suggested this, and it's a very good suggestion.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  15. Oct 25, 2009 #14
    As idempotent matrices must eigenvalues of 1 and 0 would it be all the Matrices that can produce the diagonal matrix

[itex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\0 & \\ \end{array} \right)\] = A[/itex]

16. Oct 25, 2009 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I already pointed out that [[1/2,1/2],[1/2,1/2]] works.

17. Oct 25, 2009 #16

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Figures you'd go for yet another solution! There are (at least) three things you need to do to turn this into a complete solution and a proof.

(1) What about non-diagonalizable matrices?

(2) For the diagonalizable solutions, you haven't covered all possible diagonal forms.

(3) You still need to simplify your characterization of the solutions into a form that would be considered "found".

18. Oct 30, 2009 #17
    So I have the first case where the matreix is invertable

If A is invertable and A^2=A
    AA=A
    A-1AA=A-1A
    IA=I

So A = I

The other case is when A is not invertable so then the det(A) = 0

A^2 = A
    AA = A
    AA - A = A - A
    AA - A = 0
    A(I-A) = 0

SO what complex matrix will do this?

19. Oct 30, 2009 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I already told you in post 10 that that factorization isn't particularly useful. Go back to your original set of equation and add the condition det(A)=0=ad-bc. You'll find they are pretty easy to solve.

20. Nov 4, 2009 #19
    For det(A)= 1 = invertable

[itex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\0 & 1 \\ \end{array} \right)\] [/itex]

for det(A) = 0 = non invertable

b or c can be any value

[itex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}1 & b \\0 & 0 \\ \end{array} \right)\] [/itex]

[itex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\c & 0 \\ \end{array} \right)\] [/itex]

[itex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}0 & b \\0 & 1 \\ \end{array} \right)\] [/itex]

[itex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}0 & 0 \\c & 0 \\ \end{array} \right)\] [/itex]

[itex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}0 & 0 \\0 & 0 \\ \end{array} \right)\] [/itex]

also you have
    for all square matrices nXn

[itex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}\frac{1}{n} & \frac{1}{n} \\\frac{1}{n} & \frac{1}{n} \\ \end{array} \right)\] [/itex]

I'm not sure how to get that last one. I just noticed that DIck posted that one and by trying different options noticed that it worked for all nXn matrices

21. Nov 4, 2009 #20

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Those are all one parameter special cases. At least the ones that actually work are. The really general solution has two free parameters b and c, both in the same matrix. Can you find it? It includes the [[1/2,1/2],[1/2,1/2]] case. I keep telling you to go back to your original equations and add ad=bc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook