1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find all subsets of the octic group.

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    G = {e, a, a^2, a^3, b, y, D (delta), T (theta)} Where e=(1), a=(1, 2, 3, 4), a^2 = (1, 3)(2, 4), a^3 = (1, 4, 3, 2), b = (1, 4)(2, 3), y = (2, 4), D = (1, 2)(3, 4), T = (1, 3)

Find the subsets.

2. Relevant equations

I know that the order of G is 8. So, my subsets should have an order of 1, 2, 4, or 8

3. The attempt at a solution

I am looking at other examples and I do not understand how they make the subgroups. Is it just guessing or is there a method.

By googling, I know that there are 10 subgroups. So my subgroups with order 1 are just {e}, subgroups with order 2 are {e, a^2} {e, b} {e , y} {e, D}, {e, T}

The next ones are where I get confused. I would think that my subgroups with order 4 would be {e, a} and {e, a^3} but internet resources say that it is {e, a, a^3} but why?

And, using {e, a, a^3}, i only get 8 subgroups (including G). What are the other two?

I suppose my general question is: is there a method?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hmm, you're the second one on this forum asking the exact same question...

Anyway, some remarks:
    1) You probably mean subgroup instead of subset.
    2) Neither {e, a}, {e,a3} or {e,a,a3} is a subgroup. The reason is that subgroups must be closed under the operation. So if a is in the subgroup, then so must a*a.
    3) There is a method. First find all cyclic subgroups, then find the subgroups generated by two elements, then find the subgroups generated by three elements, and so on. This seems to be a lot of work, but it isn't if you're a bit smart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook