Find an expression for the attenuation from the eqn given

In summary, the conversation is about solving the problem of finding ki, which determines attenuation, using the given equations. The person asking the question has tried to equate real and imaginary parts but has reached an impasse. After receiving a helpful hint, they realize that the problem can be solved by setting ki = α and using the quadratic equation to find α, and then taking the square root.
BadPhysicistAtWork
Poster has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template to organize their HH threads
Having a big issue working through this problem and was wondering if somebody, much smarter than I, could give me a few pointers. Anyway here's the problem:

Given that k2=εμω2-iωμσ

By writing the wave number as k=kr-iki.
Show that ki, which determines attenuation, can be expressed by:
ki=ω(εμ/2)1/2[(1+(σ22ε2))1/2)-1]1/2

I've started by equating real and imaginary parts however I find an impasse where I have a quartic equation.

I'd been incredibly grateful for any answers, thank you in advance!

Just as a quick note, I followed the following process but reached an impasse (may be completely off base here):
k2=εμω2-iωμσ
Substitute k=kr-iki. into the equation which gives;
kr2-2ikrki-ki2=εμω2-iωμσ
Then split into two equations by equating real and imaginary parts;
(1) kr2-ki2=εμω2
(2) εμω2=ωμσ/2ki
Now (2) into (1) gives;
(ωμσ/2ki)2-ki2=εμω2
Then rearranging gives;
ki4+εμω2ki22μ2σ2/4

[EDIT: Realised i'd been a bit of an idiot and missed what should have been quite obvious, thank you for pointing it out!]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it is a quadratic... set [itex] k_{i} = \alpha [/itex] and us the quadratic equation for [itex] \alpha [/itex] and take the square root...

Actually really disappointed i myself for not seeing that... Thank you for that, really made this a lot easier.

1. What is attenuation and why is it important in science?

Attenuation refers to the decrease in intensity of a signal or wave as it travels through a medium. It is important in science because it affects the accuracy and reliability of data in experiments and communication systems.

2. How is attenuation calculated?

Attenuation is calculated by dividing the initial intensity of a signal by the remaining intensity after it has traveled through a medium. This is typically represented by the equation A = I0/I, where A is the attenuation coefficient, I0 is the initial intensity, and I is the remaining intensity.

3. What is the equation for finding attenuation?

The equation for finding attenuation is A = I0/I, where A is the attenuation coefficient, I0 is the initial intensity, and I is the remaining intensity.

4. How does the medium affect the attenuation of a signal?

The medium through which a signal travels can greatly affect the attenuation. Factors such as the density, temperature, and composition of the medium can all impact how much the signal is attenuated.

5. Can you provide an example of calculating attenuation?

Sure, for example, if the initial intensity of a signal is 100 and the remaining intensity is 25, the attenuation coefficient would be calculated as 100/25 = 4. This means that the signal has been attenuated by a factor of 4.