Find an expression of g(x) in terms of x for an equation f(x)?

In summary: So the answer would be g(x) = (x - 1)^1/3 + 1.In summary, for the function f(x) = x^3, the expression for g(x) in terms of x for the given cases are g(x) = cubic root (x+1) for f [ g(x) ] = x+1 and g(x) = (x - 1)^1/3 + 1 for g [ f(x) ] = x+1. This can be determined through logic and some trial and error.
fs93

Homework Statement

The function f is defined by f(x) = x^3

Find an expression for g(x) in terms of x in each of the following cases.

(a) f [ g(x) ] = x+1

(b) g [ f(x) ] = x+1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the same answer both times. g(x) = cubic route (x+1). Because if I put the cubic route of x+1 in f(x), it is cubed, and I'm left with x+1.

For (b) its the same. If I have cubic route of (x+1), and then cube it, I'm left with x+1. Is this correct?

I'd appreciate some help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The first one is okay. For the second one, if [tex] g(x) = \sqrt[3]{x + 1} [/tex] then [tex] g(f(x)) = \sqrt[3]{x^3 + 1} \neq x + 1 [/tex].

Why don't you try [tex] g(x) = \sqrt[3]{x} + 1 [/tex]

Thanks, that really clears things up.

But is there a method that I can always apply to such a question?

Or do you always have to keep doing trial and logic until you find the correct function?

For the type of question you posted, it's more or less using your logic and just seeing what the correct function should be, combined with some trial and error.

JG89 said:
For the type of question you posted, it's more or less using your logic and just seeing what the correct function should be, combined with some trial and error.

That's what I'm going to practice then. Thanks a million.

For b, you want to find g so that g(x3 + 1) = x + 1, so you need to figure out what g needs to do to an input value so that the output is x + 1.

To get from x3 + 1 to x + 1, g would need to:
  1. Subtract 1 from the input value.
  2. Take the cube root (not route) of the value from step 1.
  3. Add 1 to the value from step 2.
JG89's suggestion, [tex] g(x) = \sqrt[3]{x} + 1 [/tex]
doesn't do the first step, just the second and third, so doesn't work as the formula for g(x).

What is the difference between f(x) and g(x)?

F(x) and g(x) are both mathematical functions. The difference between the two is that f(x) is the original or parent function, while g(x) is a transformed version of f(x). This transformation can be achieved through various methods, such as shifting, stretching, or compressing the graph.

What does it mean to "find an expression of g(x) in terms of x"?

When we say "find an expression of g(x) in terms of x", it means that we need to manipulate the original function f(x) in such a way that we can express it in terms of x. This means that the resulting function, g(x), will have x as the independent variable.

What are the steps to find an expression of g(x) in terms of x for an equation f(x)?

The steps to find an expression of g(x) in terms of x for an equation f(x) are as follows:1. Identify the transformation(s) applied to the original function f(x).2. Use the appropriate algebraic techniques to undo the transformation(s) and isolate g(x).3. Simplify the resulting expression to get g(x) in terms of x.

Can we always find an expression of g(x) in terms of x for any equation f(x)?

Yes, we can always find an expression of g(x) in terms of x for any equation f(x) as long as the original function is a one-to-one function. This means that each input (x-value) corresponds to a unique output (y-value) and vice versa. If the original function is not one-to-one, then we may not be able to find an expression of g(x) in terms of x.

Why is finding an expression of g(x) in terms of x useful?

Finding an expression of g(x) in terms of x is useful because it allows us to easily manipulate and analyze the transformed function. It also helps us to understand the relationship between the original function and the transformed function. Furthermore, it allows us to make predictions and solve problems involving the transformed function.