Find an f that satisfies these statements - Deltas and Epsilons

  • Thread starter Thread starter Numnum
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Numnum
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find an f that satisfies this statement:
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)≠L[/tex]

[tex]∀ε>0 ∃δ>0∃ x:0<|x-a|<δ AND |f(x)-L|<ε[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



I'd just like a small hint on how I would go about finding a function. How can there be a delta for every epsilon and the rest of the statement is fulfilled, but there is no limit? The notation's just a tad confusing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Numnum said:

Homework Statement



Find an f that satisfies this statement:
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)≠L[/tex]

[tex]∀ε>0 ∃δ>0∃ x:0<|x-a|<δ AND |f(x)-L|<ε[/tex]

Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution



I'd just like a small hint on how I would go about finding a function. How can there be a delta for every epsilon and the rest of the statement is fulfilled, but there is no limit? The notation's just a tad confusing.

You aren't quantifying this right. There just has to be one epsilon without any corresponding delta. lim x->0 x isn't equal to 1. Prove it.