1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singularity points + Laurent series

1. Mar 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find and determine the type of singularity points for ##f(z)=\frac{\sin(3z)-3z}{z^5}##. Also calculate the regular and main part of Laurent series around those points.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am already having troubles with the first part.

Singularity point is of course ##z=0##. For ##z=0## I can use Taylor expansion for ##\sin## which than gives me

##f(z)=\frac{\sin(3z)-3z}{z^5}\doteq \frac{(3z-\frac{(3z)^3}{3!}+\frac{(3z)^5}{5!}-\cdots )-3z}{z^5}=\frac{z^3(-\frac{3^3}{3!}+\frac{(3^5z^2}{5!}-\cdots )}{z^5}=\frac{-\frac{3^3}{3!}+\frac{3^5z^2}{5!}-\cdots }{z^2}##

Now I have no idea how to determine the type of singularity point. However, if I would have to guess I would say that in ##z=0## is pole of second order.

If that is ok, I would be happy to get a hint on the second part of this problem - Laurent series.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's right. It's a pole of order 2, and you've essentially derived the Laurent series. Just simplify what you have to
    $$f(z) = -\frac{3^3}{3!}\frac{1}{z^2} + \frac{3^5}{5!} - \frac{3^7}{7!} z^2 + \cdots.$$ Now you just have to identify the regular and principal parts of the series.

4. Mar 27, 2014 #3
    ##f(z)=-\frac{3^3}{3!}\frac{1}{z^2}+\frac{3^5}{5!}-\frac{3^7}{7!}z^2+\frac{3^9}{9!}z^4-\cdots ##

Where principal part is ##-\frac{3^3}{3!}\frac{1}{z^2}## and regular part is ##\frac{3^5}{5!}-\frac{3^7}{7!}z^2+\frac{3^9}{9!}z^4- \cdots ##

And this should be it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted