Find angle between vectors with cosine law

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle between two vectors, A and -B, where the statement |A+B| = 100|A-B| is true. The individual is asking for guidance on solving for the angle using cosine laws and is reminded to divide by the magnitude of A squared to simplify the equation.
drillman9
Hi

I would really appreciate it if anybody could lead me in the right direction on this one...

|A| = |B|

|A+B| = 100|A-B|

I need to find the angle between A and -B for the statement to be true.

Using cosine laws I've come up with the following eqn:

|A+B| = 100|A-B|
2|A|^2 + (2|A|^2)(cosx) = 100[2|A|^2 - (2|A|^2)(cosx)]

I applied these cosine laws to the isosceles triangles

I'm not looking for the answer, I'm just looking to get some guidelines on solving for x, the angle.

Thanks so much

note: A and B are vectors.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simply divide by |A|^2 (even though A is a vector, its magnitude is a scalar) and solve for cosx.

Ah yes, I should've know. I always over complicate myself! Thanks for the help!

1. What is the cosine law?

The cosine law, also known as the law of cosines, is a mathematical formula used to find the angle between two vectors. It states that the square of the length of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of the lengths of those two sides and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How is the cosine law used to find the angle between vectors?

The cosine law can be used to find the angle between two vectors by setting up a triangle with the two vectors as two of the sides. Then, using the formula, the angle between the two vectors can be found by solving for the angle.

3. What information is needed to use the cosine law to find the angle between vectors?

To use the cosine law, you will need to know the lengths of the two vectors and the angle between them. This information can be obtained through measurements or given in a problem.

4. Can the cosine law be used for any type of triangle?

Yes, the cosine law can be used for any type of triangle, whether it is acute, obtuse, or right-angled. It is a general formula that can be applied to any triangle as long as the necessary information is known.

5. Are there any limitations to using the cosine law to find the angle between vectors?

One limitation of the cosine law is that it can only be used to find the angle between two vectors in a two-dimensional space. It cannot be used for vectors in three-dimensional space. Additionally, the cosine law may not be the most efficient method for finding the angle between vectors in certain situations, such as when the vectors are perpendicular to each other.