Can You Find the Angle in This Isosceles Triangle Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about an isosceles triangle with a given angle at the base and two points chosen on its sides. The question asks to find the angle formed by one of the points and the base. The person mentions not having solved the question yet but is interested in hearing others' solutions.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hello MHB, I saw one question that really tickles my intellectual fancy and because of the limited spare time that I have, I could not say I have solved it already! But, I will most definitely give the question more thought and will post back if I find a good solution to it.

Here goes the question...and if this question intrigues you, please feel free to try it and in case you have solved it, please share it with us!

In the isosceles triangle $ABC$, the angle at the base $BC$ is equal to $80^{\circ}$. On the side $AB$ the point $D$ is chosen such that $AD=BC$ and on the ray $CB$ the point $E$ is chosen such that $AC=EC$. Find the angle $EDC$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[TIKZ]\coordinate [label=left:$A$] (A) at (80:9) ;
\coordinate [label=below:$B$] (B) at (0,0) ;
\coordinate [label=below:$C$] (C) at (3,0) ;
\coordinate [label=left:$D$] (D) at (80:6) ;
\coordinate [label=below:$E$] (E) at (-6,0) ;
\draw (B) -- node[ below right ]{$x$}(A) -- node[ below right ]{$x$}(C) -- node[ below ]{$x$}(E) -- node[ above ]{$y$}(D) -- (C) ;
\draw (-5.25,0.25) node{$40^\circ$} ;
\draw (0.5,0.25) node{$80^\circ$} ;
\draw (0.5,5) node{$40^\circ$} ;[/TIKZ]
Let $x = AB = AC = EC$ and let $y = ED$.

In the isosceles triangle $ABC$, $BC = 2x\cos80^\circ$. Since $AD = BC$, it follows that $EB = DB = x(1 - 2\cos80^\circ)$. Thus the triangle $DBE$ is isosceles, and since the apex angle at $B$ is $100^\circ$ it follows that the base angles $DEB$ and $EDB$ are both $40^\circ$.

By the sine rule in the triangle $DBE$, $\dfrac{DE}{\sin100^\circ} = \dfrac{EB}{\sin40^\circ}$, or $\dfrac{y}{\sin80^\circ} = \dfrac{x(1 - 2\cos80^\circ)}{\sin40^\circ}$. Therefore $$y\sin40^\circ = x\sin80^\circ(1 - 2\cos80^\circ) = 2x\sin40^\circ\cos40^\circ\bigl(1 - 2(2\cos^240^\circ - 1)\bigr),$$ $$y = 2x\cos40^\circ(3 - 4\cos^240^\circ) = -2x(4\cos^340^\circ - 3\cos40^\circ).$$ The formula $\cos3\theta = 4\cos^3\theta - 3\cos\theta$ shows that $4\cos^340^\circ - 3\cos40^\circ = \cos120^\circ = -\cos60^\circ = -\frac12$. Therefore $y = -2x\bigl(-\frac12\bigr) = x$. So $ED = EC$ and the triangle $EDC$ is isosceles. The angle at the apex $E$ is $40^\circ$ and so the base angles (one of which is $EDC$) are $70^\circ$.

1. What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a type of triangle that has two sides of equal length. This means that two of the angles in the triangle are also equal.

2. What is the challenge for solving an isosceles triangle?

The challenge for solving an isosceles triangle is to find the length of the third side (the base) and the measure of the two equal angles, given the length of the two equal sides.

3. How do you find the length of the base in an isosceles triangle?

To find the length of the base in an isosceles triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem or the law of cosines.

4. How do you find the measure of the equal angles in an isosceles triangle?

The measure of the equal angles in an isosceles triangle can be found by dividing the sum of the angles by 2. This is because the angles in a triangle add up to 180 degrees, and since two of the angles are equal, dividing by 2 will give you the measure of each equal angle.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving isosceles triangles?

Solving isosceles triangles is important in fields such as engineering, architecture, and surveying. It can be used to calculate the height of buildings, the length of bridges, and the slope of land, among other things.