Find Angle of Projectile: Golf Ball 50m High & Away

In summary, the initial angle of a golf ball hit from the ground into a building window 50m high and 50m away from the starting point is 63 degrees. This is calculated by finding the initial x and y velocities and using inverse tan to solve for the angle. The final y velocity is assumed to be zero because the golf ball hits the window at its maximum height of motion.
physicsnobrain

Homework Statement

A golf ball is hit from the ground into a building window 50m high and 50m away from starting point. Find the initial angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I will work backwards for this question. I assume that the final y velocity (Vy) is 0m/s.

the first equation I do is: Vy^2= Viy^2 + 2ay(y)
I solve this equation for Viy and I get 31.32m/s.

Next I use the equation: Vy = Viy + ayt
I solve this equation for time and I get 3.192s.

Next I use d = vt and in respects to x. I solve for v (being the initial x velocity). For this I get Vix to be 15.66m/s.

Now I have initial x and y velocity and use inverse tan to solve for angle. I get the initial angle to be: 63 degrees.

Are my numbers and method correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe my steps are correct.

Last edited:
Why do you assume that the final vertical velocity is zero?

The final y velocity I assume to be zero. I forgot to add in a part where it said that it hit the window at its max height of motion.

Given these circumstances I am correct, no?

With the clarification, your solution is correct.

Related to Find Angle of Projectile: Golf Ball 50m High & Away

1. How do you find the angle of a projectile?

To find the angle of a projectile, you need to know the initial velocity, the height of the projectile, and the distance it travels. You can then use the formula θ = tan⁻¹((v₀² ± √(v₀⁴ - g(gx² + 2yv₀²)) / gx) to calculate the angle.

2. What is the initial velocity of a golf ball?

The initial velocity of a golf ball can vary depending on the force and angle at which it is hit. However, for a standard golf swing, the initial velocity of a golf ball is typically around 45-50 meters per second.

3. Why is the height of the projectile important in finding the angle?

The height of the projectile is important because it affects the time of flight and the vertical displacement of the projectile. This information is necessary in the calculation of the angle using the formula θ = tan⁻¹((v₀² ± √(v₀⁴ - g(gx² + 2yv₀²)) / gx).

4. How is the angle of a golf ball's trajectory affected by air resistance?

Air resistance can affect the angle of a golf ball's trajectory by slowing it down and causing it to fall at a steeper angle. This can result in a shorter distance traveled and a lower peak height. Therefore, when calculating the angle, it is important to take into account the effects of air resistance.

5. Can the angle of a projectile be negative?

Yes, the angle of a projectile can be negative. This typically occurs when the projectile is launched downwards, such as when throwing a ball straight down. In this case, the angle would be measured as a negative value in relation to the horizontal plane.