1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find average acceleration from two given velocities each at a given ti

1. Apr 26, 2013 #1
    The velocity of an object at t=0 seconds is 40 m/s directed due North. The velocity of the same object at t=5 seconds is 30 m/s directed due east.

Find the magnitude of the average acceleration of the object over the time interval from t=0 to t=5 seconds.

Also, show the direction of the average acceleration.

So... I am not quite sure how to even approach this problem. I originally tried it and did it with Pythagorean Theorem, but my answer was incorrect.

The answer I got using Pythagorean Theorem was 50 m/s at 36.9 East of North.

Please help!
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1367026211.697246.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Judging from your diagrams, you did a vector addition of the two velocities. You want the change involved in going from one velocity to the other. What operation should you use?

4. Apr 26, 2013 #3
    First consider the component of acceleration in the north-south direction. What is the change in the velocity component in this direction? From this, what is the acceleration (don't forget to divide by the time)?

Now do the same thing for the east-west direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted