Find B and H everywhere for a magnetized infinite cylinder

In summary: I didn't want to introduce the magnetic pole model when I first started the post because I wanted to keep it simple. I did know about the existence of the magnetic poles, but I didn't know that they would cancel out. I'm still more comfortable with the magnetization and bound current since I've worked with that more. I'm familiar with the way magnetization is derived from the magnetic dipole moment of a current loop but I haven't spent much time thinking about the magnetic poles. I'm wondering if I should start thinking about them more. In summary, the conversation discusses an infinitely long cylinder with a radius of a, with its axis along the z-direction. The cylinder has a Magnetization ##M=M_0(s
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

An infinitely long cylinder of radius a has its axis along the z-direction. It has Magnetization ##M=M_0(s/a)^2\hat{\phi}## in cylindrical coordinates where ##M_0## is a constant and s is the perpendicular distance from the axis. Find the values of ##\vec{B}## and ##\vec{H}## everywhere.

Homework Equations

##\vec{k_b} = \vec{M}\times \hat{n}##
##\vec{J_b}=\vec{\nabla}\times \vec{M}##
##\vec{H} = \frac{1}{\mu_0}\vec{B}-\vec{M}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##\vec{k_b}## and ##\vec{J_b}## are straightforward to calculate so I will just list the results.

$$ \vec{k_b}|_{r=a}=-M_0 \\ \vec{J_b}=\frac{3M_0s}{a^2}$$

I'm pretty sure these are correct since summing up the total bound charge gives 0:
$$Q=\int_0^a J_b\cdot da + k_b * (2\pi a) = \frac{6\pi M_0}{a^2}\int_0^a s^2ds -2\pi aM_0 = 2\pi M_0a-2\pi M_0a=0$$

Since there's no free charge in the problem ##\vec{H}=0## everywhere. Then for ##r < a## we have $$B=\mu_0\vec{M}=\mu_0M_0\frac{s^2}{a^2}\hat{\phi}$$

However, if I try to calculate this using Ampere's law with an amperian loop similar to those used for a solenoid I find: (a-s)L area of cylinder inside amperian loop for r < a)

$$ B(s)\cdot L = \mu_0 I_{encl} = \mu_0(\vec{J_b}\cdot(a-s)L +\vec{k_b}L)=\mu_0M_0L\left(\frac{3s(a-s)}{a^2}-1\right)$$

and this obviously isn't going to give the same result as I found using ##\vec{H}##. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong as this is very similar to problem 6.12 in griffiths electrodynamics 4th edition and I'm basically employing all of the same techniques.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything else looks good, (other than you didn't specify the direction of ## \vec{J}_m ## and ## \vec{K}_m ## and they are both in the ## \hat{z} ## direction), until your last equation, which I think is simply incorrect. You are computing ## \oint \vec{B} \cdot \, dl=\mu_o \int \vec{J}_m \, dA ##. That is fairly straightforward for this problem where the current is all in the +z direction for ## s<a ##. Try it again=I think you will get it to work. You can also predict that ## B ## needs to be zero for ## s>a ##, since ## M=0 ## for ## s>a ##, and I think you should be able to get that result as well. (Edit: I left out a ## \mu_o ## in the equation above that I now put in there).

Likes Potatochip911
Charles Link said:
Everything else looks good, (other than you didn't specify the direction of ## \vec{J}_m ## and ## \vec{K}_m ## and they are both in the ## \hat{z} ## direction), until your last equation, which I think is simply incorrect. You are computing ## \oint \vec{B} \cdot \, dl=\mu_o \int \vec{J}_m \, dA ##.

Ok, the difference was in the book that their ##\vec{J_b}## was a constant so they could just multiply by the area to get the result of the integral however, my ##\vec{J_b}## is linear w.r.t. s although I am still running into trouble.

Defining ##dA =l \,ds\Longrightarrow \int_s^a J_d\cdot dA =\frac{3M_0l}{a^2}\int_s^a s\,ds## results in ##\int J_d\cdot dA = \frac{3M_0l}{2}(1-(s/a)^2)##. I'm clearly still missing something as the 3/2 coefficient is a problem.

You have the geometry all confused. This is not a solenoid type problem. You have current (## \vec{J}_m ##) going along a wire in the +z direction. Computing ## B ## for that is fairly simple with Ampere's law= You need a circular loop for your Ampere's law path. I think with that hint, you might also now find it very easy.

Likes Potatochip911
Charles Link said:
You have the geometry all confused. This is not a solenoid type problem. You have current (## \vec{J}_m ##) going along a wire in the +z direction. Computing ## B ## for that is fairly simple with Ampere's law= You need a circular loop for your Ampere's law path. I think with that hint, you might also now find it very easy.

Yes I agree that geometry doesn't make much sense to me either I was just copying what they had done. Setting up the problem as $$\vec{B}(2\pi s) = \mu_0(\int_s^a J_d\cdot 2\pi s\, ds - M_0\cdot 2\pi a) $$ results in the answer of $$\vec{B} = -\mu_0 M_0 (s/a)^2\hat{\phi}$$ which is just the negative of what I was finding before.

I'm attaching how they solved a similar problem in the solutions manual since they are using the flat ampere loop for a cylinder and getting the correct result for their problem. Perhaps you can explain how it's working?
6dot12.JPG

Attachments

• 6dot12.JPG
    6dot12.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 650
The left side is correct. For the right side, the limits should be ## 0 ## to ## s ##, the ## dA=2 \pi s \, ds ##, and any current outside of the circular loop of radius ## s ## isn't counted. This is a simple Ampere's law calculation for the current that travels through the loop which is the circle of the ## \oint \vec{B} \cdot \, dl ## integral.

Likes Potatochip911
@Potatochip911 In the attachment of your previous post, the magnetization ## \vec{M} ## is in the +z direction. For that case, the surface currents have the same geometry as the currents of a solenoid. ## \\ ## The problem you are working here has magnetization ## \vec{M} ## in the ## \phi ## direction.

Likes Potatochip911
Charles Link said:
@Potatochip911 In the attachment of your previous post, the magnetization ## \vec{M} ## is in the +z direction. For that case, the surface currents have the same geometry as the currents of a solenoid. ## \\ ## The problem you are working here has magnetization ## \vec{M} ## in the ## \phi ## direction.

Thanks! This pieces everything together.

Likes Charles Link
@Potatochip911 I have one addition/correction to your solution above: The concept is somewhat advanced and actually involves a detail that comes from the "magnetic pole model" of solving magnetostatic problems, but you may find it of interest: Your statement that ## \vec{H} =0 ## is correct, but your reason is incomplete. ## \\ ## There are actually two possible sources for ## \vec{H} ## that need to be considered:## \\ ## 1) Free currents in conductors (and you are correct=these are absent) ## \\ ## 2) Magnetic "poles" where magnetic pole (also called "magnetic charge") density ## \rho_m=- \mu_o \nabla \cdot \vec{M} ##, and in addition, surface magnetic pole density ## \sigma_m= \mu_o \vec{M} \cdot \hat{n} ##. ## \\ ## (I'm using your same units here where you use ## \vec{B}=\mu_o \vec{ H} +\mu_o \vec{M} ##. In another very common units, ## \vec{B}=\mu_o \vec{ H}+ \vec{M} ##, without any ## \mu_o ## on the ## \vec{M} ##). ## \\ ## ........................... ## \\ ## In the problem at hand, ## \nabla \cdot \vec{M}=0 ## , and ## \sigma_m=\mu_o \vec{M} \cdot \hat{n}=0 ##, so indeed, you can say ## \vec{H}=0 ##. ## \\## .............................. ## \\ ## Meanwhile, if you consider the cylinder of "finite" length of uniform magnetization ## \vec{M} ## along the +z axis as in your attachment of post 5, (it is a very typical permanent magnet), it will have magnetic "poles" on its endfaces, (with ## \sigma_m=\mu_o \vec{M} \cdot \hat{n} ##, with the dot product generating a ## "+" ## pole on one endface, and a ## "-" ## pole on the other), so that ## \vec{H} ## is not zero everywhere for a magnetized cylinder of finite length. The ## \vec{H} ## from these poles is found by the inverse square law, in a manner analogous to how the electric field ## \vec{E} ## is computed from electric charges. The magnetic field is then ## \vec{B}=\mu_o \vec{H}+\mu_o \vec{M} ##. (They are really computing it for a very long cylinder, but it is worthwhile to consider the cylinder of "finite" length). ## \\ ## Alternatively, you could do a magnetic surface current calculation, (it's a rather difficult calculation for the magnetized cylinder of finite length=you can do it on-axis, but off-axis, it is extremely difficult), and compute the magnetic field ## \vec{B} ## for this case. When you then go about computing ## \vec{H}=\frac{\vec{B}}{\mu_o}-\vec{M} ##, you will get the very same result for ## \vec{H} ## that the pole model calculation gives.## \\ ## (And they do have it correct in the attachment though that ## \vec{H}=0 ## and ## \oint \vec{H} \cdot dl=0 ## everywhere, because there are no poles in the case of a magnetized cylinder of infinite length. It is also of interest that the contribution to ## \vec{H} ## that originates from magnetic poles does have ##\nabla \times \vec{H}= 0 ## everywhere, so that ## \oint \vec{H} \cdot dl=0 ## for this contribution to ## \vec{H} ##. However, for the case of a cylinder of finite length, ## \vec{H} ## will be non-zero, even though ## \oint \vec{H} \cdot dl=0 ## ). ## \\ ## Inside a permanent magnet, ## \vec{H} ## actually points opposite the direction of ## \vec{M} ##. And outside a permanent magnet, ## \vec{H}=\frac{\vec{B}}{\mu_o} ## is also non-zero. ## \\ ## You might also find this previous posting of interest: See in particular post 2 of this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/magnetic-field-of-a-ferromagnetic-cylinder.863066/

Last edited:
Likes Potatochip911

What is a magnetized infinite cylinder?

A magnetized infinite cylinder is a theoretical model used in physics to represent a long, thin cylinder with a consistent and uniform magnetic field throughout its entire length.

Why is it important to find B and H everywhere for a magnetized infinite cylinder?

Knowing the magnetic field strength (B) and magnetic field intensity (H) at every point within the cylinder is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic materials and how they interact with each other.

How can B and H be calculated for a magnetized infinite cylinder?

B and H can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the properties of the cylinder, such as its radius, length, and magnetic permeability. These equations, such as Ampere's law and the Biot-Savart law, allow scientists to determine the magnetic field and intensity at any point within the cylinder.

What factors can affect the B and H values for a magnetized infinite cylinder?

The B and H values for a magnetized infinite cylinder can be affected by the strength and orientation of the magnetization, the physical properties of the cylinder, and any external magnetic fields present. Changes in any of these factors can alter the B and H values at different points within the cylinder.

How is the concept of B and H everywhere for a magnetized infinite cylinder applied in real-world situations?

The concept of B and H everywhere for a magnetized infinite cylinder is applied in various fields, including engineering, materials science, and geophysics. It is used to design and optimize magnetic devices and materials, such as MRI machines, electric motors, and magnetic storage devices. It also helps in understanding and studying natural phenomena, such as Earth's magnetic field and the behavior of magnetic materials in space.