Find Continuity of f_α Along Negative X-Axis

  • Thread starter Thread starter Samuelb88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Branch
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Samuelb88
Messages
160
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find a branch of [itex]w=z^{1/2}[/itex] which is continuous along the negative x-axis.

The Attempt at a Solution



The book proves that the principle square root function [itex]|z|^{1/2} \big( \cos(\theta/2) + i \sin(\theta/2) \big)[/itex], where [itex]-\pi < \theta \leq \pi[/itex] is discontinuous along the negative x-axis.

I've defined a new branch of the square root function [itex]f_\alpha (z) = |z|^{1/2} \big( \cos(\theta/2) + i\sin(\theta/2) \big)[/itex], where [itex]\alpha < \theta \leq \alpha + 2\pi[/itex]. I know the principle square root function is discontinuous along the negative x-axis because the limit as the principle square root function is path dependent as [itex](r,\theta)[/itex] approaches an arbitrary negative number [itex]r_0 e^{i \theta_0}[/itex]. What's the best way to proceed from here? Should I choose an [itex]\alpha[/itex] such that [itex]f_\alpha[/itex] can only approach the negative x-axis one way?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Samuelb88 said:

Homework Statement


Find a branch of [itex]w=z^{1/2}[/itex] which is continuous along the negative x-axis.

The Attempt at a Solution



The book proves that the principle square root function [itex]|z|^{1/2} \big( \cos(\theta/2) + i \sin(\theta/2) \big)[/itex], where [itex]-\pi < \theta \leq \pi[/itex] is discontinuous along the negative x-axis.

I've defined a new branch of the square root function [itex]f_\alpha (z) = |z|^{1/2} \big( \cos(\theta/2) + i\sin(\theta/2) \big)[/itex], where [itex]\alpha < \theta \leq \alpha + 2\pi[/itex]. I know the principle square root function is discontinuous along the negative x-axis because the limit as the principle square root function is path dependent as [itex](r,\theta)[/itex] approaches an arbitrary negative number [itex]r_0 e^{i \theta_0}[/itex]. What's the best way to proceed from here? Should I choose an [itex]\alpha[/itex] such that [itex]f_\alpha[/itex] can only approach the negative x-axis one way?

There's a lot of choices for alpha. Why not pick alpha=0? Where is the discontinuity now?
 
Along the positive x-axis. I understand how I should approach the problem now. Nonetheless, thank you for your help! My book hid the fact that branches are discontinuous along their branch cuts at the end of an example.