Find derivative of y. y= ln (1 + √x) / (x^3)

  • Thread starter Thread starter HellRyu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative Ln
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
HellRyu
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Hi guys, I've got :

[tex]y= ln ( (1 + √x) / x^{3})[/tex]


2. The attempt at a solution
I honestly don't know where to go from here, I tried getting the ln of each of them.


[tex]y = ln 1 +ln√x - ln x^{3}[/tex]


Am I doing it write? If not, how am I suppose to work this problem out? If so, where do I go from here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First note, log(1+sqrt(x)) does not equal log(1) + log (sqrt(x)). You're thinking about this property:

log(ab) = log(a) + log(b). So, what you should have is this mess below:

[itex]y = \ln{(1+\sqrt{x})} - \ln{x^3}[/itex]

On the first part, use the chain rule, on the second part use the chain rule. Show your work and we'll see where you go astray.
 
MarneMath said:
First note, log(1+sqrt(x)) does not equal log(1) + log (sqrt(x)). You're thinking about this property:

log(ab) = log(a) + log(b). So, what you should have is this mess below:

[itex]y = \ln{(1+\sqrt{x})} - \ln{x^3}[/itex]

On the first part, use the chain rule, on the second part use the chain rule. Show your work and we'll see where you go astray.

O.K. so I started doing the chain rule for the first one and got:

[tex](1/(1 + √x) )(1/(2√x) )[/tex]

Is it right so far?

EDIT: I did the second one and got:

[tex](1/(x^{3}) ) (3x^{2} )[/tex]
 
Last edited:
ok I got used the chain rule and got

[tex][(1/2x^{-1/2})/(1 + √x)] - [(3x^2)/(x^3)][/tex]

then

[tex]1/[ (2√x) + 2x ] - 3/x[/tex]

How do I go from here to get the answer :

[tex](-6 -5√x)/[2x(1 + √x) ][/tex] ?
 
HellRyu said:
ok I got used the chain rule and got

[tex][(1/2x^{-1/2})/(1 + √x)] - [(3x^2)/(x^3)][/tex]

then

[tex]1/[ (2√x) + 2x ] - 3/x[/tex]

How do I go from here to get the answer :

[tex](-6 -5√x)/[2x(1 + √x) ][/tex] ?
Find a common denominator & combine fractions.