1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Differential Length

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    I got an answer for this, but it just doesn't seem correct. Maybe someone could tell me what I am doing wrong, or that I am just over thinking the problem and I am right.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write an expression for the differential length vector dl at the point (1,2,8) on the straight line y=2x, z=4y, and having the projection dx on the x-axis

2. Relevant equations

dl=dxax+dyay+dzaz

3. The attempt at a solution

y=2x, z=4y, therefore z=8x
    therefore

dxax+2dxay+8dxaz.

since there are no variables remaining after you take the derivative, dl is then
    1ax+2ay+8az

Any help would be amazing, and please excuse me if I am just being a complete idiot.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That seems ok to me. So dl=dx(ax+2*ay+8*az). ax, ay and az are the unit vectors in each direction, right?

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3
    Yes, ax, ay, az are the direction unit vectors. Thanks

5. Dec 1, 2010 #4
    ..... I haven't really understood the problem, but i do understand the solution.. can anyone explain more about this problem especially the "projection dx on the x-axis" part..

please help me.... i badly needed the explanation..

thanks in advance....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook