Find dy of x/( sqrt (3x + 6) )

  • Thread starter Thread starter HellRyu
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
HellRyu
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am doing my review for an exam Friday and the review shows only this: "find dy"

x/( sqrt(3x + 6) )

The review gives me the answer which is:
[(3x + 12)/2(3x + 6)^(3/2)]dx

2. The attempt at a solution

I started out by re-writing the sqrt as " (3x + 6)^1/2 " which I then proceeded to multiply the equation by the derivative of " (3x + 6) " and got:

3x/(3x + 6)^(1/2).

I'm stuck on how to proceed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HellRyu said:

Homework Statement


I am doing my review for an exam Friday and the review shows only this: "find dy"

x/( sqrt(3x + 6) )

The review gives me the answer which is:
[(3x + 12)/2(3x + 6)^(3/2)]dx

2. The attempt at a solution

I started out by re-writing the sqrt as " (3x + 6)^1/2 " which I then proceeded to multiply the equation by the derivative of " (3x + 6) " and got:

3x/(3x + 6)^(1/2).

I'm stuck on how to proceed.

Do you know the quotient rule for derivatives? Or equivalently, convert from

[tex]\frac{x}{(3x+6)^{1/2}}[/tex]

to

[tex]x(3x+6)^{-1/2}[/tex]

and use the product rule, setting [itex]u=x[/itex] and [itex]v=(3x+6)^{-1/2}[/itex]
 
when you have functions like this, sometimes it's easier to write out your systems in general terms.

rewrite your equation as f(x)/g(x), or f(x)g(x)^-1, if you prefer, where f(x)=x and g(x)=√(3x+6). so now find the derivative of this. do it piece by piece until you have your solution.
 
HellRyu said:

Homework Statement


I am doing my review for an exam Friday and the review shows only this: "find dy"

x/( sqrt(3x + 6) )

The review gives me the answer which is:
[(3x + 12)/2(3x + 6)^(3/2)]dx

2. The attempt at a solution

I started out by re-writing the sqrt as " (3x + 6)^1/2 " which I then proceeded to multiply the equation by the derivative of " (3x + 6) " and got:

3x/(3x + 6)^(1/2).

I'm stuck on how to proceed.
Hello HellRyu. Welcome to PF !

The question should have read something like:
Find dy, for [itex]\displaystyle y=\frac{x}{\sqrt{3x + 6}}\ .[/itex]​
Of course, [itex]\displaystyle dy=\frac{dy}{dx} dx=y'\,dx[/itex]

Basically, find y' and multiply by dx.

Use the quotient rule with [itex]\displaystyle y=\frac{x}{(3x + 6)^{1/2}}\,,\[/itex] or use the product rule with [itex]\displaystyle y=x(3x + 6)^{-1/2}\ .[/itex]
 
SammyS said:
Hello HellRyu. Welcome to PF !

The question should have read something like:
Find dy, for [itex]\displaystyle y=\frac{x}{\sqrt{3x + 6}}\ .[/itex]​
Of course, [itex]\displaystyle dy=\frac{dy}{dx} dx=y'\,dx[/itex]

Basically, find y' and multiply by dx.

Use the quotient rule with [itex]\displaystyle y=\frac{x}{(3x + 6)^{1/2}}\,,\[/itex] or use the product rule with [itex]\displaystyle y=x(3x + 6)^{-1/2}\ .[/itex]

Hi, and thank you! :)

I started using the quotient rule which got me stuck at:

[tex](-3x^{2} + 3x + 6)/ ( (3x + 6)^{3/2} )[/tex]
 
HellRyu said:
Hi, and thank you! :)

I started using the quotient rule which got me stuck at:

[tex](-3x^{2} + 3x + 6)/ ( (3x + 6)^{3/2} )[/tex]
That's incorrect.

Show some intermediate steps.
 
SammyS said:
That's incorrect.

Show some intermediate steps.

O.K. I thought it was. I have:

[tex]x/( (3x + 6)^{1/2} ) "f(x) / g(x)"[/tex]

I then get [tex]"g(x)( f' (x) ) -( f(x)( g'(x) ) ) "[/tex]

over

[tex]"g(x)^{2} "[/tex]

I plug my f(x)'s and g(x)'s with their derivatives

[tex](3x + 6)^{1/2} (1) - (x(3x) )[/tex]

over

[tex](3x + 6)^{3/2}[/tex]
Is this correct so far? Or did I make a mistake somewhere?
 
MarneMath said:
No, you need to use the chain rule on the 2nd part.

Ha! You guys are genius', thank you all so much! I figured it out.