Find eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of an operator

In summary, the conversation discusses finding eigenfunctions and eigenvalues for the operator \hat T = \frac{{\hat L_z^2}}{{2I}} = - \frac{{{\hbar ^2}}}{{2I}}\frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\partial {\varphi ^2}}}. The conversation then leads to the differential equation \frac{\partial ^2}{\partial \varphi^2} f = -k^2 f, where ##k^2 = \frac{2I\lambda}{\hbar^2}## is a constant. The speaker suggests solving it as a regular math equation using the steps outlined in a textbook.
fdbjruitoirew

Homework Statement

[itex]\hat T = \frac{{\hat L_z^2}}{{2I}} = - \frac{{{\hbar ^2}}}{{2I}}\frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\partial {\varphi ^2}}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Find eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of this operator

The Attempt at a Solution

It leads to the differential eqn
[itex]- \frac{{{\hbar ^2}}}{{2I}}\frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\partial {\varphi ^2}}}f = \lambda f[/itex]
it has the characteristic eqn
[itex]\lambda + \frac{{{\hbar ^2}}}{{2I}}\frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\partial {\varphi ^2}}} = 0[/itex]
then I don't know how to do the next step

Physics news on Phys.org
If I said its a wave equation would that help?

then just follow the steps for solving Schrodinger eqn that was written in textbook, is it your idea?

No just solve it as a regular maths equation. What sort of function when differentiated twice gives you the same function multiplied by a negative constant?

fdbjruitoirew said:
It leads to the differential eqn
[itex]- \frac{{{\hbar ^2}}}{{2I}}\frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\partial {\varphi ^2}}}f = \lambda f[/itex]
it has the characteristic eqn
[itex]\lambda + \frac{{{\hbar ^2}}}{{2I}}\frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\partial {\varphi ^2}}} = 0[/itex]
then I don't know how to do the next step
That's not the characteristic equation for the differential equation. For one thing, derivatives shouldn't appear in it.

If you rearrange the original differential equation slightly, you get
$$\frac{\partial ^2}{\partial \varphi^2} f = -k^2 f$$ where ##k^2 = \frac{2I\lambda}{\hbar^2}## is a constant. Surely, you've seen that kind of differential equation before.

1. What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a special type of function that, when operated on by a linear transformation (or operator), results in a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the output of the function is proportional to the original function.

2. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is the scalar multiple that is associated with an eigenfunction when operated on by a linear transformation (or operator). It represents the amount by which the eigenfunction is scaled when operated on by the transformation.

3. Why is finding eigenfunctions and eigenvalues important?

Finding eigenfunctions and eigenvalues is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including quantum mechanics, signal processing, and differential equations. They provide insight into the behavior and properties of linear transformations, and can be used to simplify complex problems.

4. How do you find eigenfunctions and eigenvalues?

To find eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of an operator, you first need to set up and solve an eigenvalue equation. This involves taking the operator and setting it equal to a scalar multiple of the eigenfunction. The resulting equation can then be solved to find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions.

5. Can all operators have eigenfunctions and eigenvalues?

No, not all operators have eigenfunctions and eigenvalues. An operator must be linear and operate on a vector space in order for it to have eigenfunctions and eigenvalues. Additionally, the vector space must be finite-dimensional for the eigenvalues to be well-defined.