1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of an operator

1. Jan 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]\hat T = \frac{{\hat L_z^2}}{{2I}} = - \frac{{{\hbar ^2}}}{{2I}}\frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\partial {\varphi ^2}}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Find eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of this operator

3. The attempt at a solution
    It leads to the differential eqn
    [itex]- \frac{{{\hbar ^2}}}{{2I}}\frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\partial {\varphi ^2}}}f = \lambda f[/itex]
    it has the characteristic eqn
    [itex]\lambda + \frac{{{\hbar ^2}}}{{2I}}\frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\partial {\varphi ^2}}} = 0[/itex]
    then I dont know how to do the next step

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2014 #2
    If I said its a wave equation would that help?

4. Jan 22, 2014 #3
    then just follow the steps for solving Schrodinger eqn that was written in textbook, is it your idea?

5. Jan 22, 2014 #4
    No just solve it as a regular maths equation. What sort of function when differentiated twice gives you the same function multiplied by a negative constant?

6. Apr 5, 2015 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's not the characteristic equation for the differential equation. For one thing, derivatives shouldn't appear in it.

If you rearrange the original differential equation slightly, you get
    $$\frac{\partial ^2}{\partial \varphi^2} f = -k^2 f$$ where ##k^2 = \frac{2I\lambda}{\hbar^2}## is a constant. Surely, you've seen that kind of differential equation before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted