Solving 5-Pair Sums Equal to 0,2,4,5,7,9,10,12,14,17

• Thread starter thrill3rnit3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary: I could just substitute any number for the x1, and it would produce 10 numbers, plus 1 for the for the x1, which makes it 11. The problem asks for only 5 numbers.write all combinations of two unknowns. These are not only x1+something.yeah, I've written them all down. I don't see the point to it though. Please elaborate a little bit more.How many equations in five unknowns did you get?I got ten equations (thus the 10 sums), but I'm not really sure how to go from here since I can't just plug in the sums because I
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find five numbers for which the pair sums are equal to 0,2,4,5,7,9,10,12,14,17

Homework Equations

nothing.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, pair sums means sum of 2 numbers, right?

I just need a heads start on this one. I don't know how to get started. Just give hints please. No full solutions.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
x1+x2=0
x1+x3=2

Looks like a system of linear equations to me. xi are your unknowns.

Last edited:
I don't think so, if it were

[tex]x_{1}+x_{n}=y[/tex]

then I could just substitute any number for the x1, and it would produce 10 numbers, plus 1 for the for the x1, which makes it 11. The problem asks for only 5 numbers.

Write all combinations of two unknowns. These are not only x1+something.

Yeah, I've written them all down. I don't see the point to it though. Please elaborate a little bit more.

How many equations in five unknowns did you get?

I got ten equations (thus the 10 sums), but I'm not really sure how to go from here since I can't just plug in the sums because I'm not sure to which equation each one would go into.

i got the following equations out of it:

a+b+c+d+e=20

a+b+2c+2d+2e=23

3a+3b+4c+4d+4e=63

3a+3b+5c+5d+5e=66

which led to

a+b=17

c+d+e=3

I'm not really sure how to do systems in 4 variables. I'll probably work on it right now.

Last edited:
My idea of simple systematic approach was wrong, sorry about that.

Yeah that's fine.

I'm not really fluent with Linear Algebra and matrices and stuff like that. Is there any way to solve the system without using matrices?

Borek said:
My idea of simple systematic approach was wrong, sorry about that.

So using systems of equations is not applicable on this one??

By the way, I'm not sure about the 2nd equation I got. I subtracted all the expressions and pair sums to arrive to the 2nd equation, but I forgot that subtraction is NOT commutative.

I subtracted 17-14-12-10... and got -46

However, when I tried 0-2-4-5... I ended up with -80

I'm not really sure how to go about with this.

Are we assuming that the solution are integers?

I suppose so. I copied down the original problem word for word (see first post), so I would guess the answers would be positive/negative integers

Assume the numbers are in order a<=b<=c<=d<=e. You did a great trick in getting a+b+c+d+e=20. You counted combinations, right? Brilliant. There are four other equations that are pretty clear. a+b=0, a+c=2, d+e=17 and c+e=14. Do you see why? That's five equations in five unknowns. You can solve them. Borek (and I) underestimated this problem when we first saw it. There IS a systematic approach. More complicated than I thought.

Last edited:
praharmitra said:
Are we assuming that the solution are integers?

thrill3rnit3 said:
I suppose so. I copied down the original problem word for word (see first post), so I would guess the answers would be positive/negative integers

I have one trick that can narrow down the solution. There are five numbers right. The possible combinations of the parity of these numbers are

1. all odd
2. 1 even, 4 odd

and so on

However, we see that in the set of pairwise sums that are given, there are only 4 odd numbers. This shows that the solution can be of only the following two types (can be easily seen)

1. 1 even, 4 odd
2. 1 odd, 4 even

other combinations will give a different set of pairwise sums.

However, since we know a+b+c+d+e = 20. the solution must be of the form 1 even, 4 odd.

Say, the even number is a

then the pairwise sums of a, must be

a + b = 5
a + c = 7
a + d = 9
a + e = 17

thats all i got till now.

Dick said:
Assume the numbers are in order a<=b<=c<=d<=e. You did a great trick in getting a+b+c+d+e=20. You counted combinations, right? Brilliant. There are four other equations that are pretty clear. a+b=0, a+c=2, d+e=17 and c+e=14. Do you see why? That's five equations in five unknowns. You can solve them. Borek (and I) underestimated this problem when we first saw it. There IS a systematic approach. More complicated than I thought.
I don't think there is a systematic way as you have given. Since we do not know which set of numbers give which sums.

as u have said, if we assume a+b = 0, how can you be sure that it is the same a involved in a + c = 2? you could have two other numbers that give sum 2.

remember that the solution can be negative... they are not all positive. Assuming a<b<c<d<e, does not allow us two create algebraic equations as you have done

Last edited:
ok i got the solution...here it is

From my earlier post we know

a+b=5
a+c=7
a+d=9
a+e=17

Also a+b+c+d+e=20

Subtract the last one from the others. This gives

c+d+e=15
b+d+e=13
b+c+e=11
b+c+d=3

Add all of these

b+c+d+e = 14

Thus a = 6 (a+b+c+d+e = 20, remember??)

Put the same a in the first set of equations. This gives

a=6, b=-1, c=1, d=3, e=11

praharmitra said:
as u have said, if we assume a+b = 0, how can you be sure that it is the same a involved in a + c = 2? you could have two other numbers that give sum 2.

remember that the solution can be negative... they are not all positive. Assuming a<b<c<d<e, does not allow us two create algebraic equations as you have done

Let's assume b+c is the second lowest sum - that means a+c>b+c. But we know that a<b, so it can't be true. Similar happens for every other pair (a+c>b+d, but b<a && d<c, and so on). Thus a+c must be the second lowest sum of all.

Borek said:
Let's assume b+c is the second lowest sum - that means a+c>b+c. But we know that a<b, so it can't be true. Similar happens for every other pair (a+c>b+d, but b<a && d<c, and so on). Thus a+c must be the second lowest sum of all.

i see your point...

then we know that a+b = 0 and a+c = 2. However, we can't make anymore such assumptions. can we?

I mean, the next smallest sum could be a+d or b+c. How do we make sure which it is?

praharmitra said:
I mean, the next smallest sum could be a+d or b+c. How do we make sure which it is?

We don't. But we have two other equations on the other end, that (combined with total sum being 20, which I must admit I have not yet understood ) gives five equations in five unknowns.

praharmitra said:
I have one trick that can narrow down the solution. There are five numbers right. The possible combinations of the parity of these numbers are

1. all odd
2. 1 even, 4 odd

and so on

However, we see that in the set of pairwise sums that are given, there are only 4 odd numbers. This shows that the solution can be of only the following two types (can be easily seen)

1. 1 even, 4 odd
2. 1 odd, 4 even

other combinations will give a different set of pairwise sums.

However, since we know a+b+c+d+e = 20. the solution must be of the form 1 even, 4 odd.

Say, the even number is a

then the pairwise sums of a, must be

a + b = 5
a + c = 7
a + d = 9
a + e = 17

thats all i got till now.

I don't think there is a systematic way as you have given. Since we do not know which set of numbers give which sums.

So do I just subtract the expression from a+b+c+d+e=20??

e.g.

(a+b+c+d+e=20)-(a+b=5)

etc. and so on and so forth? I think that makes sense...

praharmitra said:

You CAN TOO create the equations systematically. The lowest sum is 0=a+b, the next lowest is 2=a+c, the highest must be d+e=17, the second highest must be c+e=14. Combining this with the equation derived from the sum of all pairs a+b+c+d+e=20 gives the same solution you've given, e.g. subtract a+b=0 and d+e=17 from the pairs equation gives c=3. Since c+e=14, that gives e=11. Etc. The parity trick is clever but unnecessary.

Dick said:
You CAN TOO create the equations systematically.

Exactly!

FAQ: Solving 5-Pair Sums Equal to 0,2,4,5,7,9,10,12,14,17

1. How do you solve 5-pair sums equal to 0,2,4,5,7,9,10,12,14,17?

To solve 5-pair sums equal to 0,2,4,5,7,9,10,12,14,17, you need to follow these steps:

• Step 1: Identify the pairs that add up to the given numbers.
  • Step 2: Write down all possible combinations of pairs.
  • Step 3: Use algebraic equations to solve for the unknown variables.
  • Step 4: Check your solutions to ensure they satisfy the given pairs.

2. What is the purpose of solving 5-pair sums equal to 0,2,4,5,7,9,10,12,14,17?

The purpose of solving 5-pair sums equal to 0,2,4,5,7,9,10,12,14,17 is to find the values of the unknown variables that satisfy the given pairs. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as optimization problems or in building mathematical models.

3. Can you provide an example of solving 5-pair sums equal to 0,2,4,5,7,9,10,12,14,17?

Yes, for example, if we have the pairs (2,5), (9,10), (0,12), (4,14), and (7,17), we can write the following equations:

• x + y = 2
  • a + b = 9
  • c + d = 0
  • e + f = 4
  • g + h = 7

By solving these equations, we can find the values of x, y, a, b, c, d, e, f, g, and h that satisfy the given pairs.

4. Are there any strategies or tips for solving 5-pair sums equal to 0,2,4,5,7,9,10,12,14,17?

Yes, some strategies for solving 5-pair sums include:

• Start by identifying pairs that have the same sum, such as (0,12) and (9,10) in the given example.
  • Use algebraic equations to represent each pair and solve for the unknown variables.
  • Check your solutions to ensure they satisfy all the given pairs.
  • Break down the problem into smaller parts if needed.
  • Practice and familiarize yourself with different types of 5-pair sums problems.

5. How can solving 5-pair sums equal to 0,2,4,5,7,9,10,12,14,17 be applied in real life?

Solving 5-pair sums equal to 0,2,4,5,7,9,10,12,14,17 can have various real-life applications, such as:

• In finance and accounting, it can be used to balance budgets and solve for unknown expenses.
  • In engineering and physics, it can be used to optimize systems and find the best values for different variables.
  • In computer science, it can be used in coding and programming to solve logical problems.
  • In everyday life, it can be used to solve puzzles and brain teasers.
Back