Find Forces on Hand and Arm Holding a Ball

In summary, when an object is static, forces and moments must balance to zero. Moments can be defined as force multiplied by distance from the point of rotation. In order to find the magnitude of forces in a diagram, the equations ΣFy = 0, ΣFx = 0, and Σ T = 0 can be used. In this specific scenario, there are three forces acting on the object: wA, wB, and FA. The force FB can be found by using the equation FBsin(75) + FA - 15.58N - 44.5N = 0. Additionally, there are two torques to consider: TFA and TFB.
Gwozdzilla

Homework Statement

When an object is static (not moving), forces and moments must balance to zero. A moment here is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance from the point of rotation (torque). A simple way of thinking about moment balances is to consider a seesaw with a large child on one side and a small child on the other. The large child must sit loser to the fulcrum to balance the small child.

Using force and moment, balances, find the magnitude FA, FB, and Fc in the following diagram (attached below). What is actually applying the force FB?

Homework Equations

ΣFy = 0
ΣFx = 0
Σ T = 0
F = ma
T = Fd

1lb = 4.45N
1in = 2.54cm

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first I converted all of my units from pounds to Newtons and inches to meters. I assigned the variables wB for the weight of the ball and wA for the weight of the arm.

wB = 10lbs = 44.5N
wA = 3.5lbs = 15.58N

ΣFy = 0
FBy - FA = -wB - wA
FBy = FBsin(75)
FBsin(75) - FA = -wB - wA

ΣFy = 0
FC = -FBx

Torque from arm weight = wAdA = (15.58N)(.183m)
Torque from ball = wBdB = (44.5N)(.356m)
Visually, these two torques can't possibly sum to zero, so I must be missing a torque...

I know that the next step is to solve a system of equations, but I'm pretty sure these aren't the correct equations because I don't know how to draw a free body diagram for this complicated of a situation with all of the forces acting at different distances. I guess my questions are what forces am I missing? and when I draw the free body diagram, do I draw it as if all of the forces are acting at the same point?

Attachments

• BMEPhysics.jpg
    BMEPhysics.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 2,306
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gwozdzilla said:
FBy - FA = -wB - wA
Check the signs.
Gwozdzilla said:
I must be missing a torque
There are two other forces. What torques do they have about the pivot point?

To try to correct the signs:

FBy is actually in the opposite direction of all the other forces, so I guess the formula is FBy = FA + wB + wA ?

TFB = FByd = FB(sin(75))(.0508m)

TFA = FAd = FA 0 because the force is acting at a distance 0 from the rotation?

If these are the two additional torques, then using the same logic I used to fix the signs in the ∑Fy equation, the torques would sum like this:

TFB = TwB + TwA

Are these adjustments correct? If I take my three formulas ΣFy, ΣFx, and ΣT, can I solve the problem as a system of equations and get the correct results?

I don't think it matters much to the solution of this problem (it might have something to do with figuring out what's applying the force FB), but where are FA and FC coming from? Are they normal forces from something? Had I not been given the diagram, I wouldn't have thought that they were there at all.[/SUB]

FBy is actually in the opposite direction of all the other forces, so I guess the formula is FBy = FA + wB + wA ?

It is better to stick to ##\displaystyle \Sigma \vec F = 0 ## and assign the proper sign to each of the forces.
Since wB and wA are pointing in the negative y-direction, you get something like
FBy + FA + wB + wA = 0 ##\Leftrightarrow##
FBy = ##\bf -## ( FA + wB + wA ) with all three forces on the righthand side < 0 .
TFB = FByd = FB(sin(75))(.0508m) Yes

Actually, there's a bit more to this: torque is a pseudo vector and it's defined as a cross vector product ##\vec \tau \equiv \vec r \times \vec F##. Since, in a right-handed coordinate system ##\hat z = \hat x \times \hat y##, you indeed get a torque in the positive z-direction (r is pointing in the postive x, FB in the positive y direction). As with the forces: this means the torques from wA and wB are < 0 in ΣT = 0

If you're not into cross-products yet: distinguish torque wanting a clockwise rotation from torque wanting an anti-clockwise rotation by giving the former a minus sign. That way you can still require ΣT = 0 for equilibrium (no angular acceleration)

TFA = FAd = FA 0 because the force is acting at a distance 0 from the rotation? Yes

I don't think it matters much to the solution of this problem (it might have something to do with figuring out what's applying the force FB), but where are FA and FC coming from? Are they normal forces from something?

It doesn't matter to the solution, I agree. But it greatly helps towards understanding if you can figure out where, in particular, FB comes from. What do you do when you lift a weight that way ?

FA shows up from the force balance: if it weren't there, your arm would be pulled up. It isn't so there must be something holding it back at the elbow...

Maybe I'm confused about whether the forces are assumed to be negative or positive when they're listed as variables. Are wA, wB, and FA assumed to have negative values because they're in the -y direction?

Doing what I can to avoid the variables, is this correct?
If...
|wB| = 44.5N
|wA| = 15.58N
and FA is assumed to have a negative value because of its direction, then...

FBsin(75) + FA - 15.58N - 44.5N = 0

The same could follow with the torques if the values of the variables for the torques going in the clockwise direction are assumed to be negative, then..

ΣT = TwA + TwB + TFB = 0

How does the arm get pulled upward without FA? Is FA supposed to be due to the weight of the upper arm? And it might be a really poor guess, especially with how the diagram is labeled, but is FB caused by the muscles in the forearm? FB is the only force preventing the whole system from falling down due to gravity. I'm not really sure how to figure this part out.

Maybe I'm confused about whether the forces are assumed to be negative or positive when they're listed as variables. Are wA, wB, and FA assumed to have negative values because they're in the -y direction? Yes. Magnitude is an absolute value, hence always positive, value is negative.

Doing what I can to avoid the variables, is this correct?
If...
|wB| = 44.5N Yes
|wA| = 15.58N Yes
and FA is assumed to have a negative value because of its direction, then...

FBsin(75) + FA - 15.58N - 44.5N = 0 Yes

-----

Found out what causes FB already? If not, feel between shoulder and elbow with one hand while holding up a suitable weight in the other... If still no clue, compare with no weight situation (wA = 0), if so desired laying hand on table ( (wB = 0, too ). -- Funny: Too) becomes a smiley
If all that doesn't work: try to lift a table or something still heavier. ;)FB from the torques should give a considerable magnitude, such that FBsin(75) - 15.58N - 44.5N >> 0 : if there were no FA, the arm would move up. Something solid is in the way. See your picture (top one)...

Likes Gwozdzilla
Gwozdzilla said:
Maybe I'm confused about whether the forces are assumed to be negative or positive when they're listed as variables.
It's up to you. You can pick a direction (e.g. up) as positive and accept that some will take negative values, or you can take each vector to be positive in the direction of the arrow in your diagram (yet some may still turn out negative if you guessed wrongly). The trouble is, you need to state what you are doing if others are to understand your equations.

Likes Gwozdzilla

1. What are the forces acting on my hand and arm when I hold a ball?

When you hold a ball in your hand, there are two main forces acting on your hand and arm: the weight of the ball and the force of your muscles contracting to hold onto the ball. The weight of the ball is a downward force due to gravity, while the force of your muscles is an upward force to counteract the weight of the ball.

2. How does the weight of the ball affect the forces on my hand and arm?

The weight of the ball exerts a downward force on your hand and arm, which your muscles must counteract in order to hold onto the ball. The weight of the ball also causes your arm to experience a torque, or twisting force, which can be felt as a strain on your muscles.

3. Does the force of my grip on the ball affect the forces on my hand and arm?

Yes, the force of your grip on the ball does affect the forces on your hand and arm. The stronger your grip, the greater the upward force exerted by your muscles to hold onto the ball. If your grip is weak, the weight of the ball may cause your hand and arm to drop, leading to a decrease in the upward force exerted by your muscles.

4. Are there any other forces that may affect my hand and arm when holding a ball?

Aside from the weight of the ball and the force of your muscles, there may also be other external forces acting on your hand and arm. For example, if you are holding the ball while standing on a moving train, the motion of the train may cause an additional force on your hand and arm. This is known as an inertial force and can also be felt when making sharp turns or sudden stops while holding a ball.

5. How can I calculate the forces on my hand and arm when holding a ball?

To calculate the forces on your hand and arm when holding a ball, you can use Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration. In this case, the force exerted by your muscles on the ball is equal to the weight of the ball plus any additional external forces, such as the inertial force mentioned previously. You can also use the principles of torque to calculate the twisting force on your arm caused by the weight of the ball.