Find formula for f[x] whose expansion in powers of x is

In summary, the conversation was about finding a formula for f[x] with an expansion in powers of x, specifically one that includes terms of the form k^2x^k. The speaker mentions a variation of x/(1-x) and a known expansion of x/(1-x)^2 = kx^k, but struggles to find the manipulation that would give the desired k^2x^k terms. The other person suggests differentiating and multiplying by x, leading to a solution.
eclayj
I am trying to find formula for f[x] whose expansion in powers of x is:
x + 2^2 x^2 + 3^2 x^3 + 4^2 x^4 + ... + k^2 x^k + ...

I know that this is a variation on x/(1-x). I also know that x/(1-x)^2 yields expansion in power of x = kx^k. I cannot figure out the manipulation which would give the expansion k^2x^k.

Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
eclayj said:
I am trying to find formula for f[x] whose expansion in powers of x is:
x + 2^2 x^2 + 3^2 x^3 + 4^2 x^4 + ... + k^2 x^k + ...

I know that this is a variation on x/(1-x). I also know that x/(1-x)^2 yields expansion in power of x = kx^k. I cannot figure out the manipulation which would give the expansion k^2x^k.

Any help is appreciated

Well, if I had a series expansion that gave me terms kxk and I differentiated it that would give k2xk-1 and if I multiplied by x ...

Thank you very much. I need more practice and hopefully I will get better at seeing where a formula can be differentiated to get you close.

What is the purpose of finding a formula for f[x] with a given expansion in powers of x?

The purpose of finding a formula for f[x] with a given expansion in powers of x is to have a general expression that represents the function at any given value of x. This allows for easier calculations and predictions of the behavior of the function.

What is the process for finding a formula for f[x] with a given expansion in powers of x?

The process for finding a formula for f[x] with a given expansion in powers of x involves identifying the pattern in the coefficients of the powers of x, and then using algebraic techniques such as factoring and substitution to determine the general expression for the function.

What are some common techniques used to find a formula for f[x] with a given expansion in powers of x?

Some common techniques used to find a formula for f[x] with a given expansion in powers of x include the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of differences, and the method of generating functions.

What are the limitations of finding a formula for f[x] with a given expansion in powers of x?

One limitation of finding a formula for f[x] with a given expansion in powers of x is that it may not be possible to find a closed form expression for the function. In such cases, approximation techniques or numerical methods may be used to estimate the function at specific values of x.

How is the accuracy of a formula for f[x] with a given expansion in powers of x determined?

The accuracy of a formula for f[x] with a given expansion in powers of x is determined by comparing the values of the function calculated using the formula with the actual values of the function. The closer the calculated values are to the actual values, the more accurate the formula is considered to be.